PC-DC server on Vista/Win7/XP etc. (Sort of)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Re: PC-DC server on Vista/Win7/XP etc. (Sort of)

Post#11 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:42 pm

Kingbuzzo wrote:thanks for the reply!

using vmware would be a good solution for a lot of people I think. Whether it be with Ubuntu or win98.

I was able to solve my problem by using a rev A dreamcast modem with a line voltage simulator. The Rev B was very very slow.

Using a netbook running Crunchbang linux

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... 9753#79753

I do remember trying to run a pcdc server a while back with windows 98 in vmware. I was running into problems though. But most likely i set something up wrong or it could have been fixed in a newer verison of vmware. I wasn't really sure how to set this up I was just messing around with settings on vmware the other day and I got it. The thing is if you leave your Vmware connection on NAT it cannot share the internet connection with DC.

Also, I don't know if you already did this, but I spliced a 9V power adapter into my line inducer. It's pretty convenient because you don't need to worry about batteries dying on you and wondering why your connection isn't working. I just plug it into a wall outlet now and don't even worry about it.
Regards,
brourke228

Kingbuzzo
lithium

Post#12 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:49 pm

that's a good idea. I'll try the ac adapter next

Kingbuzzo
lithium

Post#13 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:38 am

Using Crunchbang Linux 64bit through vmware player and everything is running great!

in my etc/ppp/options file, I changes my ms-dns ip to the ip of the win 7 box.

Then used drdns to access the DC-TALK servers. Works great!

I think this is the best way to have a pc-dc server as it doesn't require the headache of linux compatible modems, win 98, or even rebooting!

thanks a lot for this guide.

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#14 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Glad I could help! Also its good to see 64 bit linux works with this as well. I've never tried it for pc-dc.

You don't happen to know anything about how mgetty works do you? I've been trying to contact Ryochan, but i don't think he's going to respond. I'm trying to figure out how to make the PC modem answer Dreamcast's phone call automatically without the use of this "killall" command. I know its possible to do on linux, just not sure how it works. If that were the case then you could just leave the pc-dc server running all the time and dial from dreamcast without even looking at your PC.
Regards,
brourke228

Kingbuzzo
lithium

Post#15 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:13 pm

brourke228 wrote:Glad I could help! Also its good to see 64 bit linux works with this as well. I've never tried it for pc-dc.

You don't happen to know anything about how mgetty works do you? I've been trying to contact Ryochan, but i don't think he's going to respond. I'm trying to figure out how to make the PC modem answer Dreamcast's phone call automatically without the use of this "killall" command. I know its possible to do on linux, just not sure how it works. If that were the case then you could just leave the pc-dc server running all the time and dial from dreamcast without even looking at your PC.

I'm afraid it has been mostly a paint by numbers experience for me so I don't know much theory or how mgetty works. That would be the next step though.

Ideally, we would have a gui process where you simply input your info into a dialog such as the ip of your proxy, the dc, desired dns, modem port, username + password, tick box for compatibility with Q3, and of course autoconnect for when the dc calls.

Unfortunately I'm no coder.

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#16 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Kingbuzzo wrote:
brourke228 wrote:Glad I could help! Also its good to see 64 bit linux works with this as well. I've never tried it for pc-dc.

I'm afraid it has been mostly a paint by numbers experience for me so I don't know much theory or how mgetty works. That would be the next step though.

Ideally, we would have a gui process where you simply input your info into a dialog such as the ip of your proxy, the dc, desired dns, modem port, username + password, tick box for compatibility with Q3, and of course autoconnect for when the dc calls.

Unfortunately I'm no coder.

I also know its possible.

At the moment my PC DC Server Setup is as follows.

I only have one monitor and I use it for three computers.

Every time I want to use my pc-dc server I have to unplug my monitor and plug it into that one.

The same goes for my Quake 3 Server but I rarely have to mess with that one, usually I only have to restart it and run the server again for power outages.

My pc-dc server has a video card with svideo out but Linux doesn't support it....... even though the pc bios runs it just fine.

It would be awesome if I could run it headless.

The thing that make me wonder, is why do we have to use the kill command on the process. There should be the option to auto answer any and every line.

It would be nice to have the dial tone setup like a life phone jack is, automatically play it.

I think there are config options for mgetty to do this, but I am still looking into it.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#17 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 pm

You said your video card on linuc doesn't support s-video. It should you just have to download a program and use a command. I have done it before. Is you video card ATI by chance?
PS2 Online Gaming

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#18 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Favrenation wrote:You said your video card on linuc doesn't support s-video. It should you just have to download a program and use a command. I have done it before. Is you video card ATI by chance?

No its not an ATI card, I'm installing the nvidia drivers for it, but it keeps telling me it can't when x server is running, but when I try to kill x server varies things happen.

One of the ways shutdown the whole gnome part nad took me right to the command line, but wouldn't let me type anything at all.

Another logged me out.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#19 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:38 pm

try xvesa instead of x.org? Also try disabling compiz. I have had issues with that with other stuff but it seems to cause a lot of problems with various things.
PS2 Online Gaming

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#20 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Favrenation wrote:try xvesa instead of x.org? Also try disabling compiz. I have had issues with that with other stuff but it seems to cause a lot of problems with various things.

Nvidia driver installer tells me that It can't install when the X server is active, I can't figure out how to disable it. I have restarted my computer, and tried to kill the x session command and neither have worked.