In-game internet browser isn't loading

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

PlatterTheFinch
Fancy Pants Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Sonic Adventure, ChuChu Rocket!, PBA Bowling 2001, Daytona USA

In-game internet browser isn't loading

Post by PlatterTheFinch »

[Sorry for poor English. I'm not a non-native speaker, I'm just dumb]
[I'm running these games from CDI rips on 80-minute discs.]

After hours of frustrated googling I decided I'd come here for advice on my seemingly rare issue.
After getting my DreamPi set up and ready to go, I figured I'd try it on a few games (as anyone would).
But something wasn't right; some games' network features wouldn't work. I'd love to be more specific, but I really can't.
When I access the "Home page" option in ChuChu Rocket!, the Dreamcast immediately boots back to the home screen (the IPL, not the game's main menu). However, the Network Battle mode seems to work as it should. In Daytona USA 2001, neither the Net Battle or Home Page options work; both boot me back. In Sonic Adventure, the network features work just fine.
What I do know is two things:
-My Dreamcast is not resetting. The boot animation does not play, and the VMU does not initialise.
-This is similar behavior to what would be seen if the Dreamcast failed to read some data from the disc.
I looked inside the CDI file I was using for DUSA, and I didn't notice any difference from the GDI of the game, apart from that the CDI had 2 sessions, and the GDI had a "high density" field.
Is there anything I can do to the CDI file itself to prevent these crashes initiated by the network options?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: In-game internet browser isn't loading

Post by deluxux »

Its the disc images you are using. Most CDI rips from the mid to late 00s ripped the browsers out.
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 22&t=13092

https://archive.org/download/DC_ONLINE_CDI

ateam
Animated Violence

Re: In-game internet browser isn't loading

Post by ateam »

On top of the browser being ripped out altogether in many old releases, there are also additional modifications often needed for MAIGO.BIN, SG_DPLDR.BIN, and 2_DP.BIN to function properly.

Unfortunately, binhack will overwrite these when building a CDI, but these are the four-byte-aligned values that should be changed in each of those three files to (usually) restore browser functionality.

Code: Select all

Change 5EB00000 to 4C2E0000
Change 6EB00000 to 5C2E0000
As I said, these values must be four-byte aligned. After making said changes, the CDI must be rebuild by hand using mkisofs and cdi4dc.

Credit goes to Pitito for sharing this information with me.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam