JAP Dreamcast - Code breaker help to play PAL games.

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

NeSsBiTt
Fancy Pants Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nothing yet.......but I am hoping to pick up a broadband modem for the DC later.

JAP Dreamcast - Code breaker help to play PAL games.

Post by NeSsBiTt »

Good Evening peeps!

TLDR:
I have a JAP Dreamcast, I purchased a copy of codebreaker from ebay. First time in it worked with Grandia 2 PAL. Then two days later it won't work. It keeps bringing me back to the home screen. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Also when it worked first time, I didn't have a VMU. The VMU arrived today, new batteries in, and now randomly codebreaker won't launch Grandia 2. It will launch Skies of Arcadia, but the picture is "buggered up" like moved halfway down the screen and looks poop.
I am aware that there is other code breaker software about, can anyone recomend another? Or should I just try all of them?

The code breaker software I have I think is original from 2000, copied to a CD/R (the dreamcast can read CD/R's so that's not the problem.

Story time
So the reason I have a JAP Dreamcast is because I was in Japan in November for work. I found it in a used electronics shop and it is immaculate!! With original box and manuels it cost me 50euro!! I have been after a Dreamcast for ages, but couldn't justify paying 150+euro for an example with OG box. I know the box isn't important....but I can drop the feeling of needing the box too! I also bought another Super Famicom and games, but that's not important right now.

Since november I have bought the code breaker, installed new power supply and bought an S-Video AV lead. Also slowly started to rebuild my old collection of games......I finally purchased Skies of Arcadia on ebay when I was drunk.

Thank you in advance for reading and hopefully offering advice.

Happy New Year!!
mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Re: JAP Dreamcast - Code breaker help to play PAL games.

Post by mistamontiel »

Ouch CB/GS/AR don't sound cheap

Have a burner handy? There is a Codebreaker that doubles support for GDs+CDs one CDI one disc
NeSsBiTt
Fancy Pants Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nothing yet.......but I am hoping to pick up a broadband modem for the DC later.

Post by NeSsBiTt »

Not right now, but I am confident one of my freinds has one, if not my IT department.

CB/GS/AR?? Sorry, I'm new! What do you mean here?

I also wondered if the quality of the CD/R was an issue. I know there's potential issues with different brands. I have seen new cd/r's are still available in a local electrical store
mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Post by mistamontiel »

Codebreaker Gameshark Action Replay

JVC/Value manufactured Taiyo Yudens are king blanks
OatBob
MegaDeath

Post by OatBob »

Taiyo Yuden hasn't manufactured discs since 2015. Also, their product is often released under different brand labels. I see this recommendation often, but don't expect to easily source "new" product.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

NeSsBiTt
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by NeSsBiTt »

I fixed it!

Dirty disc.....Today's lesson, don't dismiss what might be the easiest and most obvious reason.

Like, it was the tiniest of smudges, I'm not even sure I actually saw the smudge/dirt. I just wiped the disc with a cloth because why not. The CD equivalent of blowing on the cartidge.

Incidentally, the code breaker disc I had, was a copy written on to CD/r, it was 15euro on ebay. I also purchased an orginal copy of Dreamcast DC-X - Because I thought there was a problem with the code breaker cd.
MrKaos
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Soon most

Post by MrKaos »

You can still get Taiyo Yuden quality from CMC, they purchased all the tech and replicate the product. Only downside they only sell in bulk of 600 discs.