Line voltage inducer

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ianw8
Fancy Pants Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO

Line voltage inducer

Post by Ianw8 »

My Dreampi is no longer connecting to PSO.
I had this issue a while ago and it turned out to be a faulty Line voltage inducer.
Is there a UK seller for these?

Retro-45
letterbomb
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Trying them all

Re: Line voltage inducer

Post by Retro-45 »

Check out the dreamcast live shop pcwzrd13 sells them built into the modem, great customer service too.

https://dreamcastlive.net/shop/

Holsten
fragger

Post by Holsten »

Great customer service is debateable. :|
Holsten knallt am dollsten.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post by deluxux »

Ianw8
Fancy Pants Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO

Post by Ianw8 »

The modem with the build in LVI is US only.
The UK voltage that's needed is not the same.
I could buy another LVI but I have done this a year ago when my original LVI failed.
I've heard that there are Dreamcast modems that do not need a LVI.
The Japanese HTK-7100 was mentioned.

MrTamkis
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Arena, Planet Ring, POD Speedzone, Monaco Grand Prix, Toy Racer

Post by MrTamkis »

Ianw8 wrote:The modem with the build in LVI is US only.
The UK voltage that's needed is not the same.
I could buy another LVI but I have done this a year ago when my original LVI failed.
I've heard that there are Dreamcast modems that do not need a LVI.
The Japanese HTK-7100 was mentioned.
You could go about building your own LVI tin box if you are not good at soldering. It's solderless, just requires hand tools, and all the pins are broken out onto large screw terminals/breadboard points. Soldering stranded phone wiring (AWG 22-24 gauge) is too much of a pain to deal with.

It's also worth getting a landline hands free handset for monitoring the dial-up calls. Plug it in between the LVI and Dreamcast modem to verify and hear if a dial tone is going through when connecting.
Handset.png
Last edited by MrTamkis on Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreamPi DX NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Forum thread
Project page

XBandPi NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Project page

"Industrial-Strength" LVI (DIY)
Forum thread
Blog article

galaxygod
core

Post by galaxygod »

is it true that US and JP consoles dont need the line voltage inducer? i recently read somewhere that its just pal consoles that need it but i cant find any specific details

Jako
Sunday Shootout
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChuRocket
Planet Ring
Quake 3
Maximum Pool
PSO v2
Next Tetris
4x4 Evo
Starlancer...

Post by Jako »

galaxygod wrote:is it true that US and JP consoles dont need the line voltage inducer? i recently read somewhere that its just pal consoles that need it but i cant find any specific details
Hi!
No, every dreampi + DC needs a Line voltage inducer. And a usb modem too of course.

The PAL consoles (or modems better said) needs near the double of voltage than the USA or Japan consoles. But every Dreampi needs a LVI. ;-)
With 2 9v batteries you can feed a PAL console modem and give line to it, but you have another choices to get that 18v.

PCWZRD13's store is the best solution to have the DC online The service and support is A+!!! Never failed to me, sometimes he got to do the imposible. My experience. :)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

RightSprite UK
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: One day

Post by RightSprite UK »

Thanks for everyone help. I went a head and purchased the Dreamcast - DreamPi KIT from dragon city. I hope thatwill help get it all up and running. Google translate helped me alot and £4 shipping is better the £15 from the american store. I will give an update when its arrives :)

SolidSonicTH
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online (maybe?)
Alien Front Online (hopefully)

Post by SolidSonicTH »

Hijacking this thread.

Should I buy a premade LVI cable or are there any guides on how to make one of these yourself?

Alternatively some help on doing an AIO solution like Dreamcast-Live would make can also do the job.