USB WiFi dongle for DreamPi - any advice?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

lozz
core
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online, Quake III, Starlancer, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool, Sega Swirl.

USB WiFi dongle for DreamPi - any advice?

Post by lozz »

Hi all,

I've been happily playing my Dreamcast online using a DreamPi that is connected to my router via ethernet. However, following a house move, I'll now need to connect the DreamPi via WiFi. The only problem is that my DreamPi is an older unit that doesn't have WiFi built-in. Therefore, I'm going to need to buy a USB WiFi dongle.

Does anyone here happen to know if there is anything specific I should be looking for, or that I should avoid, when getting a WiFi dongle for my Pi? I am pretty clueless when it comes to these things, and am hoping that I can get something I can just plug-in and configure easily.

I'm in the UK. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Lozz
Ragfish
St.Jimmy
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake 3
Chu Chu Rocket
AFO
NBA 2K2
NFL 2K2
WSB 2K2
Internet Game Pack
Pool

Re: USB WiFi dongle for DreamPi - any advice?

Post by Ragfish »

You pretty much just need it to be compatible with Linux natively. Canakit makes one that's designed for pi if you don't know what to get.
https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html
lozz
core
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online, Quake III, Starlancer, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool, Sega Swirl.

Re: USB WiFi dongle for DreamPi - any advice?

Post by lozz »

Thanks for advice. I've ordered one available in the UK that matches those specs. Fingers crossed I'll get it up and running.