AlienFront Online with PAL Modem?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

AlienFront Online with PAL Modem?

Post#1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:41 am

Hi there,
Im a new DreamPi user and have a PAL modem.

I have successfully played games of PSO and Planet Ring. But my problem is with Alien Front Online. When I click on connect all the details on the next page are blank and stay blank. After about 10 seconds of trying to connect, the music stutters and then it returns to the main menu. It is worth noting im using an ISO from ISOZONE. I looked at videos online and see that the phone number and user id fills after a few seconds.

Has anyone managed to get this game to work with a PAL modem or am I doing something wrong?

any help would be great.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: AlienFront Online with PAL Modem?

Post#2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:26 am

Do you have a standard length phone number configured on your Dreamcast? If you just have something like 1 or 123, AFO won't even attempt to connect. I use 111-1111.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#3 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:48 am

yeah im using 111-1111
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:Do you have a standard length phone number configured on your Dreamcast? If you just have something like 1 or 123, AFO won't even attempt to connect. I use 111-1111.

I have configured/set up my DreamPi according to your youtube video. Thats what makes me possibly think it is either the modem or ISO?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 am

Anonymouse wrote:I have configured/set up my DreamPi according to your youtube video. Thats what makes me possibly think it is either the modem or ISO?

Hmmm, yeah, it could be the ISO. Can't really think of anything else.
PSO Characters:

Shuouma
Developer

Post#6 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:12 am

Just configure the ISP setup in 4x4 NTSC game and that will be used in AFO NTSC aswell. I guess you configured the ISP setup with dreamkey or something?

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:37 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:I have configured/set up my DreamPi according to your youtube video. Thats what makes me possibly think it is either the modem or ISO?

Hmmm, yeah, it could be the ISO. Can't really think of anything else.

I have tried going to 'online' with the modem disconnected. It shows the same symptoms. Displays "Looking for communication device...". Then after 15 seconds the music stutters and it returns to the main menu. No error screen saying that there is no modem or dialling tone.

I downloaded and burned another ISO ripped by somebody different. It shows the exact same symptoms.

Can some test AFO without the modem connected to the dreamcast and click 'online'?

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#8 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 am

Shuouma wrote:Just configure the ISP setup in 4x4 NTSC game and that will be used in AFO NTSC aswell. I guess you configured the ISP setup with dreamkey or something?

Yeah I used Dreamkey 3.0

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:46 am

Anonymouse wrote:Can some test AFO without the modem connected to the dreamcast and click 'online'?

If there's no modem connected, you should see the "No Modem Detected" error.

I would try what Shuouma suggested.
PSO Characters:

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#10 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:52 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:Can some test AFO without the modem connected to the dreamcast and click 'online'?

If there's no modem connected, you should see the "No Modem Detected" error.

I would try what Shuouma suggested.

Im burning the disc as we speak. Ill let you know.