WIFI Modem Simulator Idea?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

waltermixxx
noob

WIFI Modem Simulator Idea?

Post#1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi there, I'm wondering, does the internal modem on the DreamCast understand and listen for AT commands from the Dreamcast, when dialing etc? I'm wondering if in that modem interface, there is a spot where the signal going to and from the modem chip are serial. i wonder if it can be tapped, and then coverted down to 3.3 volt levels to work with little serial based wifi or serial based rj45 based interfaces... some of them will respond to at command sets... just wondering. I'm very new to the dream cast so I have a lot of reading to do. I just thought this might be an alternative to the raspberry pi, (Which I am eager to try) :)

in the mean time, I'm getting my parts together for the Raspberry Pi option :)

Cheers. :)

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: WIFI Modem Simulator Idea?

Post#2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:17 am

It seems the Raspberry pi would just save you a great deal of effort. The reason is that it takes care of issues like GameSpy and other issues standard dial-up cannot take care of. Also, there is a long-time member who can help you get a USB modem that is ready to go (pre-tested and LVI ready). I have one of them and it works great!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:22 am

The modem chip is capable of serial or parallel communication but in the DC modem it is set up as parallel. You're not going to be able to easily tap into it.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:12 pm

If you're looking at tapping it, you're probably better off tapping the G2 bus directly and emulating the hardware from there. The modem puts the G2 bus into a "simple" bus mode (see http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/questions-about-the-g2-bus-simple-mode.59754/ for more info). It's basically 8 data lines and 8 address lines, along with 3 lines for control signaling. I'm not sure what the speed of the bus is in "simple" mode, but I'd wager that it's too fast for something like an Arduino Uno to be able to bit-bang.

I've kicked around hooking a Cypress PSoC 5 up to the G2 bus. The PSoC 5 is nice since you can get a decent dev board for $10 and it basically has a tiny FPGA on it. The development environment has full hardware debugging support as well.