Is this Possible? Rendering modern websites on the Dreamcast browser

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
TheGrandPubaa
noob

Is this Possible? Rendering modern websites on the Dreamcast browser

Post#1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 am

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/surfing-modern-web-with-ancient-browsers/

I haven't done a ton of reading on this yet, but it looks promising. It's called Web Rendering Proxy, and it looks to be python-based. The rough process seems to take an image of a website, render it in a gif, and generate an HTML imagemap while stripping out unsupported features. The site features images of modern websites running in "ancient browsers" like Mosaic and IBM WebBrowser for OS/2. If this could be implemented on a DreamPi setup, that would potentially re-open the web to the PlanetWeb-based browsers. That is, assuming of course that the Pi could handle both DreamPi and this rendering setup concurrently, and that someone more knowledgeable than myself could get it running on the Pi.

https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2014/03/11/web-rendering-proxy-update/

lerabot
rebel

Re: Is this Possible? Rendering modern websites on the Dreamcast browser

Post#2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Super interesting!!

Envoyé de mon Pixel en utilisant Tapatalk

DR TEAMCAST
Vagabond

Post#3 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Yes this is a very cool concept

The only thing is you can only download about 8mb~ of web content (images, sounds, i'm not sure if html itself is stored), after you go beyond that threshold the browser freezes. I'm not sure if that's the case on Dreamkey or Dream Passport. But as long as the images are compressed enough it would be pretty awesome to see this working
Image Image
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://Dreampipe.net
HLDC-DEV Boards http://hldc.dreampipe.net

Aleron Ives
Vagabond

Post#4 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 pm

IMO it would make more sense to just port a more modern browser to DC with KOS or something. The problem is that the DC's CPU is so slow and its RAM is so small that you'd be hard pressed to make a bloated modern website render in a reasonable amount of time, assuming you could get it to work within the DC's RAM constraints at all.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

TheGrandPubaa
noob

Post#5 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 am

Aleron Ives wrote:IMO it would make more sense to just port a more modern browser to DC with KOS or something. The problem is that the DC's CPU is so slow and its RAM is so small that you'd be hard pressed to make a bloated modern website render in a reasonable amount of time, assuming you could get it to work within the DC's RAM constraints at all.

Conversely, that's why it would seem to make more sense to me to have the Raspberry Pi do the heavy lifting since it is several orders of magnitude more powerful and memory-rich than the Dreamcast. Also, the Pi is already in the loop as the server providing web access in the first place. I would be hard pressed to think of a suitably lightweight browser that's both open source and could theoretically work on the meager system specs of the DC; other than maybe a text-based browser like Links.

There really is little practical application for this other than being an academic exercise and possibly a fun homebrew challenge, but I would dig the novelty of using PlanetWeb to browse the internet as it is in 2017.

Bring
shadow

Post#6 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:38 am

This would be great to see working, but I would prefer an email forwarding server in the dreampi setup first.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Aleron Ives
Vagabond

Post#7 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:01 pm

I fear that using such a setup would strip away so much functionality that the websites wouldn't work properly, though. The web uses a lot more than plain HTML now.
"Fear the HUnewearl."