Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide - SaturnPi

Post#181 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Sonic1994DC wrote:Hey guys what are the best Voip adapters? I really would like to try this, I'm looking at this OBi200 1-Port VoIP Phone Adapter with Google Voice and Fax Support for Home and SOHO Phone Service would that work?

We have only tested the linksys spa 1001. If that VOIP adapter supports ip calling anf g711u codec it might work

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#182 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Xiden wrote:
Sonic1994DC wrote:Hey guys what are the best Voip adapters? I really would like to try this, I'm looking at this OBi200 1-Port VoIP Phone Adapter with Google Voice and Fax Support for Home and SOHO Phone Service would that work?

We have only tested the linksys spa 1001. If that VOIP adapter supports ip calling anf g711u codec it might work

Not sure, I'll be safe and buy the other one

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#183 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:00 am

Hey gang -

So I just got the VOIP and Net Link and I'm ready to go BUT my router is set for DreamPi with the Dreamcasts IP in the DMZ - will I have to change the DMZ each time I want to use Net Link to the IP of the VOIP or is it possible to have multiple DMZs?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Xiden
Developer

Post#184 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:33 am

dave_van_damn wrote:Hey gang -

So I just got the VOIP and Net Link and I'm ready to go BUT my router is set for DreamPi with the Dreamcasts IP in the DMZ - will I have to change the DMZ each time I want to use Net Link to the IP of the VOIP or is it possible to have multiple DMZs?

Cant have multiple dmzs you will have to swap them out. Or just setup port fowarding for your voip adapter ip address

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#185 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:16 am

Xiden wrote:
dave_van_damn wrote:Hey gang -

Cant have multiple dmzs you will have to swap them out. Or just setup port fowarding for your voip adapter ip address

Ok thanks I'll try port forwarding for voip. Which is better though? DMZ or port forwarding? Is one riskier?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#186 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:26 am

Generally DMZ is "riskier" but really only if you're DMZing some exploitable or vulnerable piece of equipment, which a VOIP adapter may or may not be, I really don't know. Generally the way it works is a packet comes in from the net, the router checks if there is a previously established connection with a device on the network, if yes forward it there. No? OK, is there a port forwarding rule, if yes forward it there. No? OK, send it to the DMZ. No DMZ? Drop the packet.

Port forwarding is more secure because you are only allowing traffic on specific ports, but DMZ is easier because you don't have to set up a bunch of rules. DMZing a dreamcast is NBD because no one's going to "hack" it and it's only online for shirt periods of time.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Xiden
Developer

Post#187 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:41 am

Working on a new Netlink Zone page, here's a screen shot on one of the pages...

segarallylayout.jpg

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#188 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:59 am

Looks amazing! Hopefully can do a match or two next week

Xiden
Developer

Post#189 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Guide as been updated to 1.5

Added new NetLink Zone section
Added PlanetWeb 4.0 download link
Added Troubleshooting tips
Modified the guide to be more friendly on the eyes

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#190 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Look's amazing! im updating the planet web browser for the last time with the new links, keep an eye out!