Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide - SaturnPi

Post#241 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Something just occurred to me as i was watching a classic game room, since we revived the netlink zone with the dreampi this means the next step is to revive the Game Com! so we can all send our saved phone numbers! :P

Xiden
Developer

Post#242 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:20 am

itsthinkingstill wrote:Something just occurred to me as i was watching a classic game room, since we revived the netlink zone with the dreampi this means the next step is to revive the Game Com! so we can all send our saved phone numbers! :P

I actually thought about bringing that site back up lol... Problem is game com modems are super rare.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#243 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Hahaha just joking, not even sure what you would even do with the game com modem

MobiusX
undertow

Post#244 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:44 pm

This is so cool! I just discovered this site last week. I ordered a VOIP adapter right away after seeing this thread and it arrived yesterday. Anyone want to help me test it out this weekend?

Can't wait to order a DreamPi, too...

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#245 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:23 am

How well does this work? I have a fully modied saturn with netlink that I am yet to test out. This seems like a very affordable way to play saturn netlink games.

Im very much looking forward to trying this.

Can anyone comment who has tried it?
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Xiden
Developer

Post#246 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:34 am

MobiusX wrote:This is so cool! I just discovered this site last week. I ordered a VOIP adapter right away after seeing this thread and it arrived yesterday. Anyone want to help me test it out this weekend?

Can't wait to order a DreamPi, too...

PM me and let me know a good time for you this weekend and we'll see what we can work out. I'm free tonight as well.

Glad to see more people joining the Saturn fun :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#247 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:39 am

Anonymouse wrote:How well does this work? I have a fully modied saturn with netlink that I am yet to test out. This seems like a very affordable way to play saturn netlink games.

Im very much looking forward to trying this.

Can anyone comment who has tried it?

Tried it with 5 different people so far myself. All with great results too. Sometime's during peak internet hours if you have something like a cable modem, you might notice some network congestion with VOIP. As we move towards fiber optic technology VOIP will become way more stable. But even as it is now they play very well. There are some vids at the bottom of the guide if you'd like to see the performance yourself.

Of course ideally if we can eventually get the Pi working where it can demodulate and send packets directly, possibly making a perfect lag free solution. However you'll notice most Saturn netlink games play nearly lag free with the current solution as it is which is nice :)

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#248 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Thank you for your reply. I am currently offshore but will be home in 10 days. I will order an unlocked Voip adapter and give it a try. Has anyone tried a long distance game yet? I live in Scotland so will be able to test it with people in the US. My Saturn has a 60hz switch so there shouldnt be any sync issues on the systems part.

I have a chipped Saturn with 60hz switch and use an action reply as RAM/SAVE/Region changer. Will I be able to swap out the carts just after the Sega logo appears? If I need to install a region switch I can do that.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#249 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymouse wrote:Thank you for your reply. I am currently offshore but will be home in 10 days. I will order an unlocked Voip adapter and give it a try. Has anyone tried a long distance game yet? I live in Scotland so will be able to test it with people in the US. My Saturn has a 60hz switch so there shouldnt be any sync issues on the systems part.

I have a chipped Saturn with 60hz switch and use an action reply as RAM/SAVE/Region changer. Will I be able to swap out the carts just after the Sega logo appears? If I need to install a region switch I can do that.

We played a few good games From Canada all the way to the very bottom of the states with good results

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#250 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Some other cool Saturn news is this really cool new 3d homebrew game! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj6eZn5j3ic