Etekcity VGA-HDMI adapter

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
jay_red
undertow

Etekcity VGA-HDMI adapter

Post#1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:39 am

I just got this adapter in the mail after seeing it recommended by a few videos showing that it works with the dreamcast. I tried it on one HDTV and while it looks great, it is stretching the image to 16:9. I tried to change the settings on the TV, but it seems like the converter is outputting the 16:9 signal...Then I tested it on my living room HDTV, and it displays fine in 4:3 with no adjustments needed. Obviously there isnt much to the converter, only a button to change from 1080p (which does not work, just like everyone said) and 720p so I am not sure what to do here, The stretched image is not very pleasant to look at, and the TV that it displays 4:3 already has a VGA input so the adapter is not necessary. Does anyone have any input on the issue? am I stuck with the stretched image?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Etekcity VGA-HDMI adapter

Post#2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:48 am

Yeah, it does stretch the image. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it unless your TV has a way of squishing it back.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#3 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Did you play with the aspect ratio on your TV that it looks stretched on? Unfortunately any scaler that properly does what it's intended to do will set you back quite a bit.

If you want to find something without breaking the bank I have read good reviews on a few "converters" that have no up scaling abilities. They probably marketed yours as a simple converter too so look out.

Just go on amazon and find a few. Go to the reviews section and for the keyword search type in dreamcast or DC and it will bring up everyone's review that got it for that purpose. Again, make sure its just a converter with no scaling abilities that will just copy the image straight over, kind of like the HDMI adapter plug that they make for the WII. All it does is send over the untouched 480P image to HDMI.

When I was figuring things out the hard way I bought a few duds that made the image look like what your saying, but then just bit the bullet and got an Atlona HD500.

jay_red
undertow

Post#4 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:23 am

I thought this unit would work seeing as I watched a video that showed it displaying 4:3 with no problems. My TV that I want to play it on has limited options for picture size. If i choose "normal" it shows 16:9, then there is "full 100%" that makes the picture slightly smaller (small black bars all around the screen) but is still 16:9 then the other options zoom it in more.

I am going to return that converter, and I am taking a gamble on the one from Monoprice. I read a few reviews and it seems that works for DC ok, it will even display 480p without upscaling. Should be here tomorrow so I will see how it goes.

jay_red
undertow

Post#5 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:10 am

So I got in the monoprice adapter today model 4629 and my TV still stretches the image, this time I am pretty sure its the TV and not the adapter. When using it, the TV correctly states 480p, but in the picture settings I only get 2 options for size "wide" which fills the screen, and "dot by dot" which shows a 4:3 image... but in a tiny square in the middle of the screen. I tried it on my living room TV and like the other adapter it displayed in 4:3 and looked good also.

I am wondering if a VGA to component adapter would work for me, getting kind of annoying trying to achieve something this simple.