Dreamcast through VGA - RGB - HDMI

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
RXShorty
photon blast

Re: Dreamcast through VGA - RGB - HDMI

Post#11 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks to Wombat I received the stuff to get online with the DreamPi.
So BBA out, USA modem in.

I have a PAL Dreamcast but this isn't a issue, it works great!
Some pictures with the stuff connected, still need to tidy up things like a RaspberryPi case and some ways to tie some cables together.

Again thank your Wombat!
DreamOn!

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#12 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:57 am

RXShorty wrote:OSSC is a thing that I didnt look into at the time but it seems it is not a out of the box thing you can buy?

OSSC is available both as a DIY kit and a pre-made/soldered board, just like the Akura, Toro, etc from BBS. The pre-made and soldered board/box has hundreds of people already in a pre-order waiting list though, so if know how to solder, specially SMD components, you are better off ordering the DIY which is cheaper and doesn't have a queue that long.

The only downsize to the OSSC is that the current version only outputs through HDMI, it doesn't have an analog output like VGA or SCART like the Framemeister. It also doesn't have OSD settings, so you have to rely on a little LCD display mounted on the board itself.

Just a note on the Framemeister: with the product discontinued and no successor announced, it is already going for prohibitive prices on eBay!

RXShorty
photon blast

Re: RE: Re: Dreamcast through VGA - RGB - HDMI

Post#13 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:00 pm

Raen wrote:
RXShorty wrote:OSSC is a thing that I didnt look into at the time but it seems it is not a out of the box thing you can buy?

OSSC is available both as a DIY kit and a pre-made/soldered board, just like the Akura, Toro, etc from BBS. The pre-made and soldered board/box has hundreds of people already in a pre-order waiting list though, so if know how to solder, specially SMD components, you are better off ordering the DIY which is cheaper and doesn't have a queue that long.

The only downsize to the OSSC is that the current version only outputs through HDMI, it doesn't have an analog output like VGA or SCART like the Framemeister. It also doesn't have OSD settings, so you have to rely on a little LCD display mounted on the board itself.

Just a note on the Framemeister: with the product discontinued and no successor announced, it is already going for prohibitive prices on eBay!

Thanks for your explanation.
I am not that handy and I am fine paying sime money for a decent product.

But you are right with the Framemeister on Ebay!
6000 Euro for one unit?!?!
DreamOn!

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#14 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:59 am

you can get framemeisters on ebay for 300 euros

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#15 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:18 pm

@RXShorty, awesome to see you got everything up and running now! See you online at Alien Front Online! :)

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#16 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:45 am

Adam reviewed the OSSC.
It seems it is not that suitable for the Dreamcast.

DreamOn!

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#17 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:55 am

I wouldn't trust Adam on that "review" (most of the video is just bla bla bla cables bla bla)... There are way better reviews out there for the OSSC. Best one is from Fudoh: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ossc.html

The OSSC works wonders on the Dreamcast, the only downside in my opinion is that it doesn't have currently an analog output (and it's missing OSD).

Also, read this comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-F0ap ... hrtnguhrf3

It says it all. Adam does a good thing for the community which is spreading the word, but by doing it, he also does spread bad info without even realizing... He reviews things in a user's point of view, and doesn't know the more technical stuff, so he shouldn't pass bad info and leave that job for the guys who know what they are talking about. Remember that.

I will have to get one eventually, my Sony Trinitron CRT is not compatible with games that only output 15,6 kHz, so they have to be scan/line doubled to 31,2 kHz, and the cheap GBS-8220 boards available have low output quality. THIS is the main purpose of the OSSC!

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#18 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks for the information Raen.
Read the Fudoh piece about the vs Framemeister.
For easy to use it is best to wait for the second edition with more sound output possiblities.
Both have their advantages.
The little input lag the Framemeister produces is not something worth spending 200 Euro again.
But I surely keep an eye on it and will wait when it has some easier setup for the Dreamcast.

Again thanks!
DreamOn!

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#19 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:48 pm

There's an audio upgrade board for the OSSC: https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... ade-board/

EDIT:
Raen wrote:Also, read this comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-F0ap ... hrtnguhrf3

It says it all.

Guess the comment was deleted...

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#20 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Hmm ok.

Well I think I am going to purchase the Akura next month and set them side to side.
The OSSC is something I will get when it is ready to go product, I am afraid I am just a user ;)
DreamOn!