What is your opinion on the Elysian Shadows team choosing to support project dream

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

What is your opinion on the Elysian Shadows team choosing to support project dream

Post#1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 pm

https://twitter.com/elysian_shadows/sta ... 8463273984

I was personally very surprised considering there is a chance that the project dream campaign could get absolutely no where

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: What is your opinion on the Elysian Shadows team choosing to support project dream

Post#2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:16 pm

They do what they want. It's not like its ever going to happen anyways. I don't think it hurts anyways to sign up. I just did without a care in the world.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

VasiliyRS
Uber

Re: What is your opinion on the Elysian Shadows team choosing to support project dream

Post#3 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:56 pm

Yeah i was surprised with that post too.
Elysian Shadows is a real deal, Project Dream is not. I hope it wont affect ES development and ES wont be wasting their time to adapt ES to non existing hardware untill Project Dream or whatever it is become something real.

JaymzTA
shadow

Post#4 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 am

While I don't see that project going anywhere, I don't see a problem with them supporting it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Falco Girgis
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:13 pm

Haha, nice thread. ;)

Couple of things. I have been in this scene long enough to eyeroll at dozens of Dreamcast 2 attempts, including this one. But as time has gone on, I began to change my impression. This is the only one to gain this level of mainstream press coverage and this level of momentum. They are all over the news right now, they've been blowing up on social media and on sites like Kotaku. They have the world's attention, which is something none of the other ones have been able to achieve. Not only that, but after talking to the guys at length, I'm convinced these guys REALLY know what they're doing. Every criticism or piece of advice I could offer had already been considered at length and addressed. I was very impressed, and you should know that I am VERY critical of things like that, because of all the time, effort, and press considerations that had to go into our success on Kickstarter.

First and foremost, I believe in the Dreamcast, and if there is even a slim chance at a sequel, I feel morally compelled to do everything in my power to help out. In this case that means lending them our brand and support. Honestly, when they address Sega and they can point to ESTk and Elysian Shadows already running on their original Dreamcast with over $100k raised on Kickstarter and show them that we're working on an impressive SDK that could be running on the second Dreamcast, that's some serious ammo right there. That's more than just a game, that's bringing an entire development platform and a ton of potential developers to the Dreamcast 2, all without Sega having to invest a dime of their own or a second of R&D into it. They get it for free.

Of course it's a very real possibility that this will all go nowhere... And if it does, what has Elysian Shadows lost? Nothing. Obviously we aren't going to be developing for the Dreamcast 2 until the hardware exists and the project gets the green light, so we haven't lost any development time. But what we have gained is a serious amount of press and momentum from the guys at Project Dream (which they are also gaining from us) and also a real chance that Sega will be forced to have a look at Elysian Shadows and our Toolkit... Which is a pretty huge deal.

I feel like these guys absolutely deserve our support, and I will do anything in my power to help... If there was ever a movement that could make a difference, this seems to be the one, and it takes a very small effort on our part to make a huge difference here.

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#6 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:Haha, nice thread. ;)

Couple of things. I have been in this scene long enough to eyeroll at dozens of Dreamcast 2 attempts, including this one. But as time has gone on, I began to change my impression. This is the only one to gain this level of mainstream press coverage and this level of momentum. They are all over the news right now, they've been blowing up on social media and on sites like Kotaku. They have the world's attention, which is something none of the other ones have been able to achieve. Not only that, but after talking to the guys at length, I'm convinced these guys REALLY know what they're doing. Every criticism or piece of advice I could offer had already been considered at length and addressed. I was very impressed, and you should know that I am VERY critical of things like that, because of all the time, effort, and press considerations that had to go into our success on Kickstarter.

First and foremost, I believe in the Dreamcast, and if there is even a slim chance at a sequel, I feel morally compelled to do everything in my power to help out. In this case that means lending them our brand and support. Honestly, when they address Sega and they can point to ESTk and Elysian Shadows already running on their original Dreamcast with over $100k raised on Kickstarter and show them that we're working on an impressive SDK that could be running on the second Dreamcast, that's some serious ammo right there. That's more than just a game, that's bringing an entire development platform and a ton of potential developers to the Dreamcast 2, all without Sega having to invest a dime of their own or a second of R&D into it. They get it for free.

Of course it's a very real possibility that this will all go nowhere... And if it does, what has Elysian Shadows lost? Nothing. Obviously we aren't going to be developing for the Dreamcast 2 until the hardware exists and the project gets the green light, so we haven't lost any development time. But what we have gained is a serious amount of press and momentum from the guys at Project Dream (which they are also gaining from us) and also a real chance that Sega will be forced to have a look at Elysian Shadows and our Toolkit... Which is a pretty huge deal.

I feel like these guys absolutely deserve our support, and I will do anything in my power to help... If there was ever a movement that could make a difference, this seems to be the one, and it takes a very small effort on our part to make a huge difference here.

Thanks for actually responding , fair enough if this project doesn't happen you haven't lost anything I myself have signed the petition ages ago and was just surprised that an indie dreamcast dev choose to do the same I wasn't expressing disapproval at all. I think the fact that you guys released the ES tool kit is awesome and good luck with the game

noiseredux
Power Stone

Post#7 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:17 pm

good viewpoint, Falco.