Dreamcast to HDMI

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
wetdreamcast
lithium

Dreamcast to HDMI

Post#1 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi guys,

Just thought i would let you know that i have my dreamcast running on my new LED TV using HDMI output.

i had to purchase a certain converter which is required to be plugged into a power socket.

the process requires me to use SCART from the dreamcast, into this converter, and then a HDMI out from the converter into the TV.

This is a good option for anyone who is stuck with only really modern TV's and that don't necessarily have AVor VGA support. This HDMI out option also allows you to play any dreamcast game (unlike VGA adapter).

When running, I must admit the quality of the picture is beatiful and sharp.

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Re: Dreamcast to HDMI

Post#2 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:40 pm

is the quality of the picture better than with vga and couldn't you just have used a vga to hdmi adapter ?

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:06 pm

androiddreamcast wrote:is the quality of the picture better than with vga and couldn't you just have used a vga to hdmi adapter ?

Not everyone's TV supports VGA signal out of HDMI, at least mine doesn't support it.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

wetdreamcast
lithium

Post#4 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:04 pm

androiddreamcast wrote:is the quality of the picture better than with vga and couldn't you just have used a vga to hdmi adapter ?

I haven't been able to directly compare them.

The converter only accepts SCART input (or hdmi) and then has HDMI output.

My dreamcast came with AV cable (red, yellow white) so i got an AV to SCART converter, then plugged the scart into this converter then used HDMI out of the converter into my TV. I must admit the brightness if very nice.

If you or others are interested i might get some pics up.

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#5 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:08 pm

wetdreamcast wrote:

I haven't been able to directly compare them.

The converter only accepts SCART input (or hdmi) and then has HDMI output.

My dreamcast came with AV cable (red, yellow white) so i got an AV to SCART converter, then plugged the scart into this converter then used HDMI out of the converter into my TV. I must admit the brightness if very nice.

If you or others are interested i might get some pics up.

please post some pictures thanks

krssn
Metallic

Post#6 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:20 pm

wetdreamcast wrote:
androiddreamcast wrote:If you or others are interested i might get some pics up.

Sure. Quite interested to see how the HDMI cleans up the signal... ^^

Another interesting thing would be knowing the input lag.

Might I suggest you buy a SCART cable with an RGB signal though.

Should make for an even better picture.

The converter does support SCART RGB does it?...