Using 1 vmu save on 2 different versions of the same game ?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Using 1 vmu save on 2 different versions of the same game ?

Post#1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:47 pm

I was wondering if it was possible to use 1 VMU save from one version of a game for a version of the same game for a different region . example if I have a save game in the PAL version of shemue could I put in the NTSC U version of shenmue and continue using my save game from the Pal version ? I'm asking this question because I don't own a dreamcast yet and play using a emulator on my android phone thanks

krssn
Metallic

Re: Using 1 vmu save on 2 different versions of the same game ?

Post#2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm pretty sure it won't work. At least not without hacking the save file...

Kaizoku ChaosStar
core

Post#3 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Just burn the version you need to disc and use that.
Connection! Hooray!!!

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:24 pm

You wouldn't want to go from PAL -> NTSC-U Shenmue, anyway, because Shenmue II is only available in PAL territories, so you'd have to convert back from NTSC-U -> PAL to continue the game.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 pm

The way I thought logical for my situation were to get the US copy of Shenmue and the PAL copy of Shenmue 2. Then upon beating the first game, backup the save data with a SD card reader or over the net via dream Explorer, then use this program to convert the save, transfer the data back using a separate VMU, and then continue onto the second game.

Edit: I didn't realized that the tool I linked was a .cdi file so backing up the data is still recommended. Interesting that I learn something new every day.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image