homebrew games on the dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

homebrew games on the dreamcast

Post#1 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:10 pm

these are some questions about homebrew games on the dreamcast . I'm not talking about the newer dreamcast games that are commercially released on pressed CDs , I'm talking about those free to play and download games that are released on web and don't get much publicity in the dreamcast community with the exception of volgarr the viking and planned official releases that were cancelled back in the day like half life , propeller arena and geist force.

1. Do you play any homebrew games on your dreamcast ?

2. If so how do you play them of an SD card reader , or burned CD or any other method ?

3.What is your favourite homebrew release ?

4.What homebrew releases would you recommend ?

5. What games would you like to see ported to the dreamcast as independent or homebrew releases ?

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Re: homebrew games on the dreamcast

Post#2 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:41 pm

I do, I only burn them if I play them on one of my Dreamcasts (I sometimes will emulate it if I'm too lazy to burn something). I think my favorite might be Sonic Robo Blast 2, but the strangest is that way back (when I was first into the DC in 2003 or so), someone posted all the Superman cartoons from the 40s onto a Dreamcast disc.

I'd like to see Retro City Rampage on the DC. They actually ported it to DOS of all things (with a Windows 3.1 release they're working on too).

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:10 am

lastcallgames wrote:I'd like to see Retro City Rampage on the DC. They actually ported it to DOS of all things (with a Windows 3.1 release they're working on too).

I believe that they already finished Retro City Rampage 486 and is out right now. Of course the physical is going to be rare, but anyone with the Steam and GOG version already got the .img file with DOSBox alongside. And yes I would totally go and support Brian Provinciano by buying it if it ever comes out on Dreamcast. Now I would speculate it would be no different than the Wii Ware port of the game.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#4 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:03 am

My favorite non-commercial homebrew/indie Dreamcast game is definitely Beats of Rage (from the team that later brought the brilliant Rush Rush Rally Racing). Played this a lot back in the day. Back then you did not have a choice to play it any other way then burning a CD :)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:17 am

Personally I really am loving Gunlord as of late. I am really getting into it now and got pretty far in the game. I think the custom port of Cave Story was amazing as well. I am also playing a lot of Volgarr the Viking too.

The biggest game I am looking forward to though is Hypertension, the awesome horror FPS that has been in development since at least 2008.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#6 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Personally I really am loving Gunlord as of late. I am really getting into it now and got pretty far in the game. I think the custom port of Cave Story was amazing as well. I am also playing a lot of Volgarr the Viking too.

The biggest game I am looking forward to though is Hypertension, the awesome horror FPS that has been in development since at least 2008.

Gunlord is great! The final boss 'the master' is hard to beat though.
I wish I'd beaten him.

krssn
Metallic

Post#7 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:59 pm

It's an old thread, but it already has a few suggestions...

viewtopic.php?t=3780

Drill, though short, is a nice demo. Too bad nothing came of it.

Green Ranger
killer

Post#8 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:03 am

My favorite homebrew title for the Dreamcast was Echo's Quest, which is a 2.5d platformer. I just wish the developer had finished it. :cry:

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:03 am

Green Ranger wrote:My favorite homebrew title for the Dreamcast was Echo's Quest, which is a 2.5d platformer. I just wish the developer had finished it. :cry:

It still exist a file ?
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-