Most you ever did or would pay for a Dreamcast game

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Most you ever did or would pay for a Dreamcast game

Post#11 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Paid about $70 for Karous in 2014.
Paid about $65 for Shenmue II PAL in 2001

Everything else for DC has tended to be about $40 for rare games like Radirgy, or much much less for the common releases ($5 Sega GT/Sega Rally/Metropolis Street Racer, etc.). A shame prices have been getting absurd lately, but I think it is only going to get worse for those more rare dreamcast games over the coming years. Simple supply and demand, DC games are a fixed supply, whereas I don't see the retro gaming demand for DC titles falling over the next 3-5 years. I'm looking at the Sega Saturn retro game market as an anologue of where the DC might be in 3-5 years - common games might get a slight nudge of a few dollars, but still be very affordable, whereas certain and well regarded more rare games will regularly exceed $100.

krssn
Metallic

Post#12 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:27 pm

€250 Grauen no Torikago Kapitel 6: Senritsu

MrTechnoSqueek
lithium

Post#13 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:45 am

The highest I payed was around 80 for a PAL Shenmue 2

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#14 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:53 pm

The most I've spent recently was 30 bucks shipped for an unopened copy of Tech Romancer PAL. I paid $50 for Shenmue 2 PAL but that was in 2001 and it was still retail technically. When it comes to retro stuff I generally hold out for yard sale/ flea market prices. I'll cop a few games every now and then from retail places but it has to be a cheaper one. I struggled hard a month ago debating on a copy for EGG for 50 and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I go for bigger lots to. I scooped up Power stone, Guilty Gear, Giant Gram and something else I can't remember all in Japanese with spine cards for 30 bucks on eBay. I've been very frugal when it comes to all this stuff. I get all emotional and reminiscent and I could easily get taken advantage of. I'm still flirting with the idea of a 30 dollar copy of SFA 3 and while admittedly its the best version 30 bucks is a lot for a game I paid 5 for the first time around.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Post#15 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:11 pm

I agree with the Saturn analogy, especially when is see SFZero3 for that system now going for over $200.

Does anyone think that prices might actually decrease in the next 10 years (similar to how the Neo Geo titles slightly fell only to rise again)...?

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#16 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:10 am

FinedrivE wrote:The most I've spent recently was 30 bucks shipped for an unopened copy of Tech Romancer PAL. I paid $50 for Shenmue 2 PAL but that was in 2001 and it was still retail technically. When it comes to retro stuff I generally hold out for yard sale/ flea market prices. I'll cop a few games every now and then from retail places but it has to be a cheaper one. I struggled hard a month ago debating on a copy for EGG for 50 and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I go for bigger lots to. I scooped up Power stone, Guilty Gear, Giant Gram and something else I can't remember all in Japanese with spine cards for 30 bucks on eBay. I've been very frugal when it comes to all this stuff. I get all emotional and reminiscent and I could easily get taken advantage of. I'm still flirting with the idea of a 30 dollar copy of SFA 3 and while admittedly its the best version 30 bucks is a lot for a game I paid 5 for the first time around.

Is Tech Romancer from PAL not as rare? It's one of the more expensive US DC games, but I saw it with some Sega CD game for like $20 on eBay. I would have got it, but I like to collect US copies of games that came out here.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:29 am

lastcallgames wrote:Is Tech Romancer from PAL not as rare? It's one of the more expensive US DC games, but I saw it with some Sega CD game for like $20 on eBay. I would have got it, but I like to collect US copies of games that came out here.

I'm going to presume that no, it isn't. Recall well after the console's demise, I would see some game stores and online vendors with brand new copies in stock.

The US version has only rather recently gone up in price much like the rest of the library, but its average price today is nowhere near its Capcom 3D fighter brethren like Project Justice and Power Stone 2.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#18 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:49 pm

I've seen open copies of it go for what it paid for it new. I wouldn't have bought it but I really wanted to play it. Now I'm having a hard time deciding on wether to open it or not. I got cold feet right before I tore it open and decided not to. Plus I'm so deep into Mario 64 and Shenmue that my fighting game time has suffered.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#19 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:18 am

Play Tech Romancer, its a good game, and the mechanics/gameplay are quiet different from a traditional fighting game such as Street Fighter. In a way, its a little bit like Powerstone with the various items and the multi-directional running/walking. Some of the robots play very differently, including one robot which cannot jump at all. Lots of good music and a really detailed story mode too.

I played this game to death back around 2002.

On topic for a sec, I've made my peace with never being able to pick up a copy of Border Down.

OatBob
BFG-10K

Post#20 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:44 am

Did anyone else preorder multiple copies of Watermelon Co.'s upcoming game "Pier Solar"? They're doing regional packaging, so I decided to support them and picked up one of each. I'm embarrassed to say how much that totaled. I also have stupid big preorders in place for Elysian Shadows and Shenmue III, and now I'm playing the waiting game.

I will list my most expensive game as the Segagaga D-direct limited edition box at $200.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.