The reality of how the retro game pricing trends work

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: The reality of how the retro game pricing trends work

Post#11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:22 pm

FinedrivE wrote:What is really scary is how quickly this happened with certain Genesis titles. I gave almost nothing for the 100 plus Genesis games I had. I always envisioned it as a system anybody could afford to collect for because of how cheap it was. People have gone mad for it. You can't find a good copy of Castlvania: Bloodlines for under 40. If you go on eBay and look though there was a single dude with 7 copies for sale at the same time. So now every ass hat who has a copy thinks its worth 9.3 million dollars and wants to charge you to smell his hands after he's held it.

Exactly.
I question why I still collect retro games and retro game consoles.
I am on the verge of selling everything and not ever collecting again.
You can still find good deals....
It is nothing like it used to be just a few years back.
I would be fine with using everdrives and gd rom emus etc.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#12 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm legit considering that for my NES games, just because it's gotten so expensive. But I'm definitely going to stay in the retro scene, if only because in 15-20 years eighth gen games will be useless.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#13 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:13 pm

SMiTH wrote:I question why I still collect retro games and retro game consoles.

I question why anybody would collect anything. I find games that I want to play, and then I buy them. I don't understand the point of buying bad games for the sake of owning every game for a particular system, even though many of its games are probably not worth playing.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

krssn
Metallic

Post#14 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:

I question why anybody would collect anything. I find games that I want to play, and then I buy them. I don't understand the point of buying bad games for the sake of owning every game for a particular system, even though many of its games are probably not worth playing.

Same as stamps, football stickers, baseball cards...

Then again, you probably don't understand those either... :lol:

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#15 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:50 am

krssn wrote:
Aleron Ives wrote:

Same as stamps, football stickers, baseball cards...

I only collect games that I actually play.
Even in doing so its a pricey endeavor.
Having tangible copies of games that I like, not collecting for completion.
I question it because I am being priced out of the hobby.
Simply by wanting physical copies of games that I already enjoy and have played before or intend on playing.
Does that make sense?
idk

sega_SHARK
photon blast

Post#16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:31 am

Everyone has to find their own balance when it comes to collecting anything. Some people only buy games that they play, some border on hoarding. I downsized a bunch of my DC stuff about 18 months ago and couldn't be happier. Everything is organized and easy to get to. For me, the less stuff around, the easier it is to just switch on a console and start playing. In the end, that's what it's about for me; playing video games. I own about 30 DC games and have about 10 that I haven't really played yet. That's enough of a backlog for me.
Was I really going to use that NEO GEO Pocket color transfer cable? No.
Do I really need a sealed yellow VMU? Nope.
Don't get me wrong, I still have stuff that's going to stay in the package and never get used like my Sonic Team VMU, but there is a lot less of it laying around taking up space.
Say Guh

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#17 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:44 am

Aleron Ives wrote:I question why anybody would collect anything. I find games that I want to play, and then I buy them. I don't understand the point of buying bad games for the sake of owning every game for a particular system, even though many of its games are probably not worth playing.

You don't like having physical copies of games you like?

I agree with you that buying bad games to complete a collection is insanity (unless they're dirt cheap, which nowadays they ain't). But what's the problem with wanting, for example, a limited edition version of a game you truly love?

SMiTH wrote:
I only collect games that I actually play.
Even in doing so its a pricey endeavor.
Having tangible copies of games that I like, not collecting for completion.
I question it because I am being priced out of the hobby.
Simply by wanting physical copies of games that I already enjoy and have played before or intend on playing.
Does that make sense?
idk

I understand what you mean. Retro collecting is becoming a rich man's game.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#18 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:32 pm

GameOverYeah wrote:You don't like having physical copies of games you like?

I only buy physical games, but I don't think that qualifies as collecting:

Wiktionary wrote:A hobby including seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining whatever items are of interest to the individual collector.

Collecting implies that you're buying things for the sole purpose of owning them and not because you want to actually do something with them (e.g. play them in the case of games). I buy games that I want to play, but I don't consider myself a collector, because my goal when buying games is not to have them sit on a shelf or displayed in a case. Collecting implies that the acquisition and storage of objects is itself a goal to achieve. I buy games to play them, not because I'm a collector.

krssn wrote:Same as stamps, football stickers, baseball cards...

Nope. It remains a mystery to me. :lol:
"Fear the HUnewearl."

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Post#19 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:00 am

This is nothing new, this is exactly how the baseball card market use to get manipulated back in the 80's and 90's when Baseball Cards were still immensely popular to collect here in the U.S.A.. I could tell you all kinds of tricks that got employed in that market.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

Caspian
core

Post#20 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:24 pm

I have been around ebay in order to get Dreamcast games for many years now. What I have understood, is that, given patience, a seller can achieve a highly profitable price, whereas a buyer can also achieve a very attractive deal, much less than the usual ceiling for that game or peripheral.

As far as the sensibility behind collecting games just for the sake of collecting them, well... no it does not make any sense. Except to the person collecting. I consider myself a Dreamcast die-hard, I will even play Dreamcast games I consider mediocre just for the sake of playing them. I realize that there is some screw loose in my brain, but somehow for me it feels right.