phenoms work

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: phenoms work

Post#11 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:52 pm

The licence terms of the Katana SDK say that Sega must give you the right to use it (because buying a Katana unit means you're an official third-party DC developer for Sega, or else they wouldn't have sold a dev kit to you). Sega obviously isn't offering to sell the SDK anymore, so if someone sells you a used Katana unit with the SDK software, you're not authorised to use it unless you make your own deal with Sega. Downloading the SDK is piracy and a separate but equally illegal can of worms.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

FuzzyFish
minority

Post#12 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:01 am

I don't know why I didn't think of the fact people want to release commercial products. Pretty self-explanatory there, I will say I've been a fan of the WinCE stuff I played with on updating 4x4 Evo.

Back on topic though I'm looking forward to see where this work of his goes. Nifty seeing it run Q3 BSPs
4x4 Evolution Revival Project
http://www.4x4evolution.net

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#13 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Last edited by OGDCFAN99 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#14 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:17 pm

That's not what I meant. Many indie developers use their indie projects as their resumes so that real companies will hire them to make commercial games. Nobody is going to risk illegally using the Katana SDK, because then they won't get hired. (Fun fact - Portal was based on the game Narbacular Drop, whose development essentially followed this model. The demo game was fun, so the developers got hired to make it into Portal for Valve.)

Also, copyright infringement is always illegal, even if you don't make money from it. It doesn't matter how you set up the system for people to acquire the game. No indie developer wants to put hundreds or thousands of hours into a project only to have it shut down for legal reasons, either.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#15 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:47 pm

From the perspective of someone who puts his "indie"/open source development work on his resume, I can say I echo what Aleron Ives has said there 100%.

None of us want to have to hide what we do, especially if it is potentially useful for finding work in the future.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#16 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Last edited by OGDCFAN99 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#17 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Last edited by OGDCFAN99 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#18 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:47 am

Just use KOS. It's free and for commercial use:
http://dcemulation.org/?title=KallistiOS

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#19 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Seems he has put up more results and screenshots of his personal tests.Just thought Id re-post it here because it looks cool and everyone might want to see some new 3d dreamcast stuff.I hope he releases some tech demo at some point.

Bump, back in progress.

I have been able to load some larger maps with the new API.

Oh yeah, added models support to the engine, with world collision, for AI entities.

Without multi-texture, we are at 60fps.
The PVR hardware does not support multi-texture, so no matter what approach you use in software, 2x vertices need to be submitted to the PVR.

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#20 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:18 am

I have a small question which bothered me for quite some time now:
went Ph3noms most advanced state of KGL ever online and/or was it merged with the KOS? I saw a few nehe examples running on my Dreamcast (the spinning cube from the eighth nehe tutorial with different mapping etc.) but some people made me believe that the openGL port is not very optimised and slow. So, is that true?