Any DC-Talk members going "37 Reloaded" this weekend?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Any DC-Talk members going "37 Reloaded" this weekend?

Post#1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:13 am

37 Reloaded is a tournament event that commemorates the 10 year anniversary of perhaps one the most important moments in competitive gaming. Known as "Evo moment #37" this feat took place at Evolution Championships 2004 between Diago Umehara and Justin Wong during the Street Fighter III 3rd Strike tourney.

This event will take place in the same setting (Cal Poly Pomona) with both players returning to relive history once again. The event lineup will also return to celebrate the same games that saw competion 10years ago, that many still compete in to this day and consider the best fighting games ever made.
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PS2 ver.)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (DC ver.)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Arcade)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (???)

Notice how all these games saw release on our beloved system 8-)

There will also be a side tournament for Ultra SF4.

This is a two day event set between 11/22 and 11/23.
https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... f=bookmark

The event will be broadcasted live.
I will be there not only to compete but also to provide more variety of awesome ol' school Dreamcast fighting games in the console area for casual play.

Hope anyone here can make it out for some fun! Wish me luck cuz I'll be needing it :|
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Re: Any DC-Talk members going "37 Reloaded" this weekend?

Post#2 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:24 pm

I obviously can't make it, but I remember seeing that for the first time (I'm relatively certain it was on eBaums world, that long ago), just, jaw dropping.

That's also when I realized I can never, ever, ever be a pro fighting gamer.

ae.tc
Anarki

Post#3 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 pm

CD AGES wrote:...

This event will take place in the same setting (Cal Poly Pomona)

this should be good -
• Sega Mega-Tech • SNK MVS • Sega Naomi 2 • Kaneko AX • Taito F3 ••

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Having never been a Street Fighter player, I guess I'll ask: what's special about the events depicted in the video? I assume from the level of cheering that the victor did something remarkable in making his comeback.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#5 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Diago (sp?) (also I'm not sure if that's him or not, the guy playing Ken) parries each hit of Chun-Li's supermove. If even one of those had landed, he would have been out.

And of course, finishing it with a combo of his own ending the match was the only way it could end.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:37 pm

ae.tc wrote:
CD AGES wrote:...

This event will take place in the same setting (Cal Poly Pomona)

this should be good -

Coming from an old man gamer like myself who played these games as a kid and still do, I'm certainly excited to see these great games take the spotlight once again. If you wish to attend as a spectator, its Free! Like I mentioned, I will be setting up a few DCs and then some in the causal area for more light hearted fun with anyone interested in playing. A friend of mine is also arranging a Vampire Savior side tournament as well.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:Having never been a Street Fighter player, I guess I'll ask: what's special about the events depicted in the video? I assume from the level of cheering that the victor did something remarkable in making his comeback.

There's a lot more to it then what has already been described. The Ken vs Chun matchup is in Chuns favor. Everything Ken has going for him, Chun can do better (with the only exception being lacking a solid anti air). She is arguably the best character in the game. On top of that Justin Wong is an incredibly smart player. Forcing his opponents to play at his pace with solid footies and attacking in a calculative manner, playing his matches with very little risk involved which his Character does SO well.
While its an amazing feat what Daigo did to secure victory under such pressure (The whole parrying of the super) to me that wasn't what was so incredible about this moment. It was what it took him to reach that point. During the final round he was in a huge life deficit, so much so that it looked like there was no way for him to close such a gap and turn the tide around. But Daigo isn't known as "The Beast" for nothing! As soon as he positions Chun in the corner he begins to dismantle Justin Wong's rock solid defense by simply getting into his opponents head and strategically outplaying his opponent. In what looks to be in an instant he changed the flow of the match shaking up his opponent completely in an attempt to have him take a major risk in an act of desperation which ultimately led to his defeat.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:29 pm

The match in its entirety may help in understanding the Meta-game a bit more.