Kung Fu Factory's "Girl Fight" port to Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Neohound
Gold Lion

Re: Kung Fu Factory's "Girl Talk" port to Dreamcast

Post#41 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:22 pm

rooster wrote:
As for the game being 'too much' for DC... it looks that way due to being in HD, primarily. There are some effects and some details which would have to be removed, for sure, but I imagine the process would be similar to porting a PS3 game to PSP, or Wii to DS.

That's right, I can't see anything there that is beyond the DC (maybe with a little bit of creative programming). The likes of DOA2, Soul Calibur, Rival Schools and even Fighting Vipers are good examples of Dreamcast doing 3d fighters and they don't look a million miles away.

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#42 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:27 am

Neohound wrote:
rooster wrote:
As for the game being 'too much' for DC... it looks that way due to being in HD, primarily. There are some effects and some details which would have to be removed, for sure, but I imagine the process would be similar to porting a PS3 game to PSP, or Wii to DS.

That's right, I can't see anything there that is beyond the DC (maybe with a little bit of creative programming). The likes of DOA2, Soul Calibur, Rival Schools and even Fighting Vipers are good examples of Dreamcast doing 3d fighters and they don't look a million miles away.

Thats the same thing I felt when I saw the game play. It can be much like these titles. minus a couple effects. I just wish what they can acheive is online play.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#43 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 pm

I don't see why it couldn't come to the DC, as you guys have said it doesn't look much more taxing than DOA2, and no one ever truly pushed the DC to its limits when it was out did they? I'd love to see it on the DC
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#44 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I completely agree with the statement by Rooster "This would be similar to porting... a wii game to the DS". While it might not be that extreme it would still take a ton of time and work. If they are willing to do it that would be amazing but there's a reason most wii/ps3 games don't get ports to ds/psp, it takes a lot of time and resources. I think this game looks miles ahead of DOA2 personally so that's why I'm having a hard time staying optimistic. I REALLY want them to do this and want to spread support and sign petitions, etc. but I don't want people getting their hopes up under the false pretense that DOA2 looks about as good as this. We need one of our video guys to do a side by side because I think a lot of people would be quite surprised.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#45 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 am

BrianC wrote:I completely agree with the statement by Rooster "This would be similar to porting... a wii game to the DS". While it might not be that extreme it would still take a ton of time and work. If they are willing to do it that would be amazing but there's a reason most wii/ps3 games don't get ports to ds/psp, it takes a lot of time and resources. I think this game looks miles ahead of DOA2 personally so that's why I'm having a hard time staying optimistic. I REALLY want them to do this and want to spread support and sign petitions, etc. but I don't want people getting their hopes up under the false pretense that DOA2 looks about as good as this. We need one of our video guys to do a side by side because I think a lot of people would be quite surprised.

I agree with you.This is for what xbox 360 live and psn , no?No matter what its miles ahead in tech.It would take considerable amount of effort to get this working on the dreamcast.Not only would the game engine have to be re-written but it would be done on free tools that arent as good as the official sdk which sega no longer gives license for.Also the game assets would have to be re-worked massively and/or be built again from scratch.While not impossible I feel people are being a bit TOO optimistic.

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#46 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:
BrianC wrote:I completely agree with the statement by Rooster "This would be similar to porting... a wii game to the DS". While it might not be that extreme it would still take a ton of time and work. If they are willing to do it that would be amazing but there's a reason most wii/ps3 games don't get ports to ds/psp, it takes a lot of time and resources. I think this game looks miles ahead of DOA2 personally so that's why I'm having a hard time staying optimistic. I REALLY want them to do this and want to spread support and sign petitions, etc. but I don't want people getting their hopes up under the false pretense that DOA2 looks about as good as this. We need one of our video guys to do a side by side because I think a lot of people would be quite surprised.

I agree with you.This is for what xbox 360 live and psn , no?No matter what its miles ahead in tech.It would take considerable amount of effort to get this working on the dreamcast.Not only would the game engine have to be re-written but it would be done on free tools that arent as good as the official sdk which sega no longer gives license for.Also the game assets would have to be re-worked massively and/or be built again from scratch.While not impossible I feel people are being a bit TOO optimistic.

Yeah a bit too much optimism but they say they are still thinking into making the game.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#47 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:06 pm

PhiseJr wrote:Yeah a bit too much optimism but they say they are still thinking into making the game.

And that's a very very good thing. I think if we could drum up enough support there is a possibility of us seeing this albeit a slim one. Maybe if we could get some big name gaming websites involved it would help draw the attention we need. I just think we'd be kidding ourselves if we said "this is easy" and knowing how hard it is will make us work harder to spread the idea. I think to an extent this would be in the companies benefit because new Dreamcast games tend to get a bit of mainstream attention whereas this game doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot at the time.

rooster
photon blast

Post#48 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Could we fix the thread title? The game's name is Girl Fight, not Girl Talk. Girl Talk would be a much less fun game.

cabou
letterbomb

Post#49 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:19 pm

late posts on the wall

(me, two days ago)
yes, that's true, We're really sorry guys for the assault of your page from DC geeks (which i'm part of). We're several (tens of) thousands still active. Hope you'll give your project a chance on Dreamcast ! ;)

(Kung Fu Factory, yesterday)
We don't mind... we think its cool and its made us think about it for sure!

(me, this evening)
that's Great ! please note that the very most of us are ready to preorder (and pay) a game in it's early stage development (and even before !). We don't car about the time it will take as soon as we have the certitude it will be released one day. That could bring you (at least) a quiet important part of the investment for the portage (and minimum risk)

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#50 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:14 am

Hehe thanks cabou !
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -