Dreamcast Brook Wingman woes...

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
bingobongo
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, SOA, JSR :)

Dreamcast Brook Wingman woes...

Post by bingobongo »

I just posted this long rant over on reddit, but it occurs to me that I might get a better answer here.

As you may have guessed, me and this Brook Wingman are not the best of buddies right now... and at this point i'll copy/paste my long post from over there (sorry if it's too long-winded, I just wanted to establish that I've tried a few things)

Honestly, if there's a magic pill or bullet that I'm somehow missing, please let me know... this thing is causing me some real aggro.

my reddit/dreamcast post:

Okay, first time around (last year some time)

Open package, insert Wingman into Dreamcast port 1, turn on Dreamcast - press button to pair with bluetooth wireless PS3 controller....

Nothing.

Try a few more... nothing. They refuse to see each other.

Attempt to update firmware and fry the unit somehow.

Get another one (today)

Plug into Dreamcast - this time I tried PS3 wireless and PS4 wireless (PS4 is official Sony pad, the PS3 one is a cheap knock-off)

Attempt to pair them and...nothing. They refuse to connect.

Plug in USB cable from Wingman to controllers and the PS3 controller is paired immediately - but the buttons don't work - nothing works. It just appears to be paired.

Try the PS4 and plug in USB - it pairs immediately and the pad works... Great!!

Disconnect USB cable to 'appreciate' the wireless experience - this is why I bought it after all :)

Nothing, It disconnects immediately.

I have tried plugging in a USB to Wingman to give it a power boost - same results. Nothing.

2nd Wingman, both brand new and sealed.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong because I'd love to know.

I just tested it on my Saturn and identical results.

Why is this presented as an amazing 'plug and play' solution when the only thing that's right about that statement is 'plug and play'? I have yet to solve my wireless situation. It only works with wired PS4 controller.

In the Saturn, the buttons aren't mapped properly and one of the essential buttons is completely missing. I fired up Burning Rangers and can't get past the tutorial because of this.

Update: I managed to get one controller working - a recently purchased Chinese clone XBOX 360 - using the wireless receiver plugged into the Wingman. I tried a much older, working, 100% official XBOX 360 controller and that did not work at all.

Right now it's back in its packaging and stored away. I bought it because I have all those promised working controllers - but only 1 out of 4 works - and I need that for my PC. I was hoping I could use PS3 or PS4 with it. Well, I can, but only 1 works and it isn't wireless. So it's kind of pointless.

bingobongo
fire

Re: Dreamcast Brook Wingman woes...

Post by bingobongo »

The only replies I got for this were over on Reddit:

"The only controller I’ve ever gotten to work with my brooks wingman was an Xbox one controller and it took forever to do, like over 10 minutes of trying each time I’d play, PlayStation controllers never worked for me, but I won’t ever use it again, pairing anything to the brooks wingman is hell and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone,"

Someone else had success, but not PS4 and PS3 (like me, although my buttons didn't work) was wired.

I was honestly expecting a fair few posts from users here telling me how great it is - but not even that?

And if you're in the EU (like me) and you head straight to Amazon - these things are a whopping 148 euros?!

https://www.amazon.it/SKU-Wingman-Conve ... 128&sr=8-4

I would be fuming and spitting out fire if I'd spent that kind of money on this device. (to be fair, you can get them on eBay for the 'regular' 45 euros/dollars)

So it's a solid thumbs down from everyone and not just me?

My only advice is don't be suckered into believing it's a great all-round device when you watch some of the Youtube videos. It works with a very specific set of controllers - and definitely not all the ones promised on the box. But those videos are incredibly deceptive - and I wish they'd actually tested them with a whole range of controllers and not just two or three.

MoeFoh
Outrun

Post by MoeFoh »

-not surprised ps3 knock-off doesn't work - not official.
-official ps4 should work - I can understand the frustation. I've only used xbox devices with Dreamcast. could be there's a legit issue with your particular ps4 part number.
>>might as well try the beta updater and update to 1.5c and see what happens - not sure what firmware your device is currently using - (fingers crossed on the update).
-microsoft's ble firmware broke wireless support for the one & x/s controllers - as it did for other company's adapters.
-where the wingman-sd plays nicely is with wired devices emulating an xbox 360 wired controller using x-input, which is why your knock-off xbox 360 receiver works. Not helpful if you want to use a ps4 wirelessly, however.

-look into buying a Mayflash Magic Lite or NS 2 adapter. It works (plugs into) with the WingmanSD to provide improved Bluetooth & Wired (NS 2 model) performance. Set the adapter to x-input.
https://www.mayflash.com/product/magic_ns_2.html
https://www.mayflash.com/product/magic_ns_lite.html
Last edited by MoeFoh on Wed May 15, 2024 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bingobongo
fire

Post by bingobongo »

"-where the wingman-sd plays nicely is with wired devices "

I appreciate the feedback, but it only confirms my suspicions at this point.

I would assume most people would buy it for the wireless feature that's promised on the box.

It would be very tempting to just sell it cheaply on eBay and at least recoup some of the money spent - but I'm genuinely worried that whoever does buy it would immediately ask for a refund when they find out, like me, that it doesn't work as promised. It may not happen, but I'd say there's a good chance it could.

Still very disappointed in the Youtube reviews (all of them that I've seen) because they do not test this thing out properly - and maybe if they had, many of us would have known to avoid it. Just watch a couple of them - they all consider it an amazing device that just works seamlessly.

yeah, I wish.

In the next few days I'm going to order that 4 controller wireless adapter from Ali - and I'll post an update here in a few weeks so people can compare.

MoeFoh
Outrun

Post by MoeFoh »

bingobongo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:27 pm "-where the wingman-sd plays nicely is with wired devices "

I appreciate the feedback, but it only confirms my suspicions at this point.

I would assume most people would buy it for the wireless feature that's promised on the box.

It would be very tempting to just sell it cheaply on eBay and at least recoup some of the money spent - but I'm genuinely worried that whoever does buy it would immediately ask for a refund when they find out, like me, that it doesn't work as promised. It may not happen, but I'd say there's a good chance it could.

Still very disappointed in the Youtube reviews (all of them that I've seen) because they do not test this thing out properly - and maybe if they had, many of us would have known to avoid it. Just watch a couple of them - they all consider it an amazing device that just works seamlessly.

yeah, I wish.

In the next few days I'm going to order that 4 controller wireless adapter from Ali - and I'll post an update here in a few weeks so people can compare.
Not really surprised it's not working with the PS4 wirelessly. There are 4 variants of the PS4, so their firmware needs to support all 4 (small vendors often mess up here because they do not have ALL the hardware to test).

Still curious about the firmware level. Can't say it broken until the latest beta firmware is installed and tested.

The Mayflash Magic NS 2 will fix this situation. I know from personal experience because this is what I do.

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post by Xerxes3rd »

The BlueRetro (even the cheap ones from AliExpress) work quite well with pretty much all Bluetooth controllers. After a firmware update the BlueRetro can also emulate a single memory card, similar to the Wingman.

niZ
shadow

Post by niZ »

I never had issues with my Brook Wingman SD. It works with my PS5, PS4, and 8bitdo M30 controllers wired and wirelessly (also works great with a wired keyboard). Maybe try updating the firmware as MoeFoh suggested. Hopefully you can get the problem fixed soon. The only issue I've had was it disconnecting sometimes but that's a problem with my Port A being loose on the Dreamcast itself. Plug it in correctly and it works like it should. Dumb question but are you pairing it correctly? Holding the button until it flashes fast and then holding the "share" and "PS" button on the PS4 controller until it flashes white? Takes a few seconds to pair but it works every time.

MoeFoh
Outrun

Post by MoeFoh »

Brook WingmanSD Update:
Firmware 1.5c is now listed as the official release.

Code: Select all

-------------V1.5C-20240322-----------
1. Added Saturn Twin Stick mode
2. Controller compatibility update: add to support
--A. Razer Kitsune PS5 Mode
----Select + Left = L-Stick
----Select + Up = D-Pad
----Select + Right = R-Stick
--B. 8BitDo Ultimate Bluetooth Controller (BT and 2.4G Dongle) mode.
--C. BitDo NEOGEO x SNK Wireless Controller (2.4G Dongle and wired used) mode.
--D. Sony Access™ Controller (wired used and support profiles switching)
--E. EXAPRIZE USB STICK SANWA EDITION [PS3]
--F. SN30 Pro USB Gamepad
Firmware:
https://www.brookaccessory.com/download/Dreamcast/
You can download Offline the 1.5c updater here:
Unzip password: Brook
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

The adapter has also been marked by Brook as End of Life (EOL).

Add: Verified working with 8bitdo NEOGEO Pad, wired & wireless with 2.4g dongle (that's cool).

bingobongo
fire

Post by bingobongo »

niZ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 pm I never had issues with my Brook Wingman SD. It works with my PS5, PS4, and 8bitdo M30 controllers wired and wirelessly (also works great with a wired keyboard). Maybe try updating the firmware as MoeFoh suggested. Hopefully you can get the problem fixed soon. The only issue I've had was it disconnecting sometimes but that's a problem with my Port A being loose on the Dreamcast itself. Plug it in correctly and it works like it should. Dumb question but are you pairing it correctly? Holding the button until it flashes fast and then holding the "share" and "PS" button on the PS4 controller until it flashes white? Takes a few seconds to pair but it works every time.
When I read your post and realised I wasn't pairing it correctly I felt like an idiot.

I raced over to the DC and Wingman, fired them up, grabbed a PS4 controller and just kept trying. The first six or seven times, zero, nothing - then, eventually, I got one to work. I have another PS4 controller and that one doesn't work at all, no matter how many times I try (think double digits)

No dice with PS3 at all - which is the wireless controller I bought it for - and is indicated as compatible on the box. PS4 clearly works, but it's fussy as to which ones you can use.

The way to look at it is like a gamble - a 45 euro gamble. Might work, might not.

MoeFoh
Outrun

Post by MoeFoh »

My official PS4 controller test results.
Model: CUH-2CT2U
VID: 054C
PID: 09CC
WingmanSD Firmeware: 1.5c

Bluetooth paired up first time using pair button on WingmanSD & (PS + Share) on the controller. Avoid using cable for pairing method as mentioned in the WingmanSD manual. Both devices will switch to a fast flash to let you know your in Bluetooth pairing mode (hold buttons for 3-5 seconds).