VMU does not work connected to the controller

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
gelcila
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evolution, Star Lancer, Maximum Pool e Phantasy Star Online.

VMU does not work connected to the controller

Post by gelcila »

I have around 4 VMUs that don't work when connected to the Dreamcast controller. In fact, the control "disappears" and is no longer recognized by the Dreamcast until I remove the VMU.
These VMUs work perfectly with batteries outside of the Dreamcast and there are still saved games there.
Its boards are in perfect condition and I have always stored the VMUs without batteries to avoid the risk of leakage.

I did simple procedures like cleaning the contacts and resetting them, but nothing helped.
I believe that some internal component, like some type of fuse, has blown and needs to be replaced, but there is no such information on the internet.
There's no way I'm one of the few people with this problem on VMU. :|
I looked for help all over the internet and couldn't find an answer, even though I found many reports with the same problem.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Before anyone asks, I have perfectly working VMUs on my controllers, on all Dreamcast ports at the same time, so it can't be a problem with the controller ports or the Dreamcast controllers themselves.
Apenas um amante de jogos antigos...
Obrigado a todos que contribuem para manter a nostalgia. \o/

drapos
shadow

Re: VMU does not work connected to the controller

Post by drapos »

I'm in the same boat with one of my 3 VMUs.

Never found a solution for this, so I hope something comes from this post.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO Ver.2, Quake 3, Maximum Pool, The Next Tetris Online, Worms World Party, Alien Front Online

Re: VMU does not work connected to the controller

Post by Sonic1994DC »

I have a similar problem with my VM2 where it won't be recognized and it won't act like I have anything else connected in the other ports like port 2 where I always have my keyboard connected. I think the problem is either the VM2 or Dreamcast tries to sync with the time I have on my VM2 and that what causes the Dreamcast to freakout and totally act like nothing is connected to the Dreamcast. To fix this where the Dreamcast recognizes the VMU's and keyboard I have to turn on the console without the VMU's connected so the Dreamcast goes back to it's default time, then I go into the VMU/file menu and see that it now recognizes that I have a controller connected in port 1 and a keyboard connected in port 2. Then I connect my VMU's into the controller and it recognizes them. I don't know if this will fix your problem but it fix mine and if I have the same problem happen to me again because it does. I just do the same thing and that fixes it