VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 DREAMCAST COULD IT BE THE PACHINKO VERSION?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
xaeroxcore
fire

VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 DREAMCAST COULD IT BE THE PACHINKO VERSION?

Post by xaeroxcore »

Hello folks!

Happy nu year!!

So, here is the thing!

Didnt have any idea there was a VF4 CR Pachislot on Japan, which have minigames and real time cutscenes, but the graphical fidelity looks bellow than the regular Naomi 2 VF4 we all know....In fact, graphics look good, but very Dreamcast/Naomi 1 aesthetic, and seems to be rendered under DC limitations.

Take a look:

https://youtu.be/zzArBSrldLA?si=Xv7DaQSrI1O8m8aj

Also, for more detailed comparison

Here is Naomi 2 VF 4

Here is Pachinko

And for comparison sake also we have VF 4 PS2 stretched

VS Pachinko

What do you think?

Also, there seems to be little info online about this machine, if somebody knows something, like in which system this runs? Naomi? Dreamcast Regulation 7? Aurora? Atosmiwave? Naomi 2?

Looks like also this VF 4 Pachinko was emulated on Yakuza 4 and 5.
dark
Shark Patrol

Re: VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 DREAMCAST COULD IT BE THE PACHINKO VERSION?

Post by dark »

Interesting idea. I can't find any spec sheets for it, but I agree, the graphics look simplified compared to the real game and more in line with something that would plausibly run on DC.

I did find a promo for it, seems like it came out in 2008, which is late for using DC related hardware but not implausible. The promo said the machine uses the latest technology though, so if you take that at face value, maybe their not using 10 year old dreamcast/Naomi components in it then...
TapamN
letterbomb

Post by TapamN »

Might use System SP hardware?

http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=732
xaeroxcore
fire

Post by xaeroxcore »

dark wrote:Interesting idea. I can't find any spec sheets for it, but I agree, the graphics look simplified compared to the real game and more in line with something that would plausibly run on DC.

I did find a promo for it, seems like it came out in 2008, which is late for using DC related hardware but not implausible. The promo said the machine uses the latest technology though, so if you take that at face value, maybe their not using 10 year old dreamcast/Naomi components in it then...
I´ve seen there are at least 2 pachinko Virtua Fighters machines (probably more, but who knows). There is also one called VF Revolution, which seems to be based on VF 5....So, this 2008 promo one could it be this one, so it would match with the "latest tech" statement? Or may be Naomi/DC could have been latest technology in the Pachinko world by 2008 hahahaa Or may be was some marketing trick and that´s it.
xaeroxcore
fire

Post by xaeroxcore »

TapamN wrote:Might use System SP hardware?

SP is the same Aurora, according to other sites....So could it be...But i don´t see the Pachinko VF listed on its games. By the way, according to other sources, SP/Auora has a "Dreamcast on a chip" internal, which actually has 300 MHz CPU and 150 Mhz GPU. It means if this pachinko VR 4 runs on it, probably an hypothetical DC VF 4 would look similar, but with some cutbacks....But for me, despite this Pachinko VF4 looks closer at first sight to PS2 VF4 and way above the visuals on VF 3, still seems DC DOA 2 stomps it on the visual department. Graphics appear to be lookalike Force Five, but with what it seems to be more detailed character models (or maybe just better art)....Could it be Pachinko VF4 and Force Five share same graphics engine?
Esppiral
BFG-10K

Post by Esppiral »

Are there any dumps of this so it can be data mined?
cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

xaeroxcore wrote:

SP is the same Aurora, according to other sites....So could it be...But i don´t see the Pachinko VF listed on its games. By the way, according to other sources, SP/Auora has a "Dreamcast on a chip" internal, which actually has 300 MHz CPU and 150 Mhz GPU. It means if this pachinko VR 4 runs on it, probably an hypothetical DC VF 4 would look similar, but with some cutbacks....But for me, despite this Pachinko VF4 looks closer at first sight to PS2 VF4 and way above the visuals on VF 3, still seems DC DOA 2 stomps it on the visual department. Graphics appear to be lookalike Force Five, but with what it seems to be more detailed character models (or maybe just better art)....Could it be Pachinko VF4 and Force Five share same graphics engine?

Sega Aurora was never used. System sp is exactly Sega Naomi is a different control harness and uses compact flash . So it's exactly a Dreamcast with twice the main ram /vram and like 4x audio ram.
Those specs from system 16 are wrong , it's already been proven because system sp has been emulated .
cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

xaeroxcore wrote:

And to be honest these are extremely unlikely to be Dreamcast hardware , more likely something custom or just PC based. They even have cr Virtua fighter pachinko running on PC from 777town from Sammy to play these on PC. Like I said these aren't dc based
xaeroxcore
fire

Post by xaeroxcore »

Esppiral wrote:Are there any dumps of this so it can be data mined?
Sonicfan from Beyond´s 3D forums is the one who came up with this info and he is trying to find more:

"There's a company called rodeo that i think might have helped with it, but all i found was an announcement from them, but it doesn't say the hardware
... someone messaged me and said they'd try to track down the hardware and dump it. It totally would be worth it imo. Especially since for some reason pachinko is the only way to experience VFs actual story".

I tagged you all guys on the "Yes, how many polygons...." thread to see the complete info.

I post it here, to see if may be somedoby else has that dump and we can verify if this Pachinko VF4 is the long awaited DC VF4 (If this runs on Naomi/System SP) is totally on Dreamcast reach.
xaeroxcore
fire

Post by xaeroxcore »

cloofoofoo wrote:
xaeroxcore wrote:

Sega Aurora was never used. System sp is exactly Sega Naomi is a different control harness and uses compact flash . So it's exactly a Dreamcast with twice the main ram /vram and like 4x audio ram.
Those specs from system 16 are wrong , it's already been proven because system sp has been emulated .
Found the System SP/Aurora info here, but obviously could be wrong: https://segaretro.org/Sega_System_SP