Tahi - The Arocean War (9-9-09)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
RETICON
Developer

Re: Tahi - The Arocean War (9-9-09)

Post by RETICON »

Greetings folks,

I took a look at these comments and I found it rather astonishing. Need not to worry, this project IS NOT vaporware, the project is headed in the proper direction and it is just taking time. Please take into consideration that there are only two programmers for this project, it is I (Frank) and Andrew Cardon. We have a third coming very soon.

The Spline Engine was an idea that we had, we still have our vector based engine, we will leave the spline engine alone and continue with the vector based engine since, yes it will take too much time to work with the ideas I set forth. So we will leave the engine as it was. I proposed it to Andrew and Troy and set a plan for it and attempted to code it and we realized that this spline engine would take far too much time to implement.

I would also like to announce to everyone that his project will NOT become vaporware or end for any abrupt reason what-so-ever. We do have times where we are slower, but there is ALWAYS progress. Please Do not become pessimistic. It may seem like we are not getting far with our development, but we are. We are progressing in other aspects of the game to make sure we have things solidified before we code it.

I understand you want to see some in game, we will have that soon, but first we need to make sure our 'base' is solid before we can build upwards. It would be a pain to create something and then go back and do it again, in the end it would just slow us down, which has happened to us already.

So just keep cool :) and you know we will finish it. We're working extremely hard and as fast as a small team can go! and if you do have concerns, please email me at [email protected] and I'll be free to answer anything.
TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post by TeamXlink »

Also, don't forget this is a commercial game with a team the size of an indie game's
team.
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

Good to hear from you again, I didn't mention vapourware personally but you can understand why people are concerned and unsure. However I am happy to wait and see what happens, all this talk of the Unlimited Detail engine just gave cause for concern, is that what you refer to as the spline engine? Anyway nice to hear from you again and I look forward to seeing some more stuff!
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Thanks for clearing things up Frank! Hope to see something real soon. Keep up the great work, didn't mean any harm when I said Vaporware, was just a little over eager to see something solid is all. Nothing personal man! ;)
Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Planet Ring
Quake III Arena
Phantasy Star Online ver. 2
Maximum Pool
4x4 Evolution

Post by Impulse »

Hi, Frank. Thanks for posting and clearing up the doubt.

By the way: check the Reticon blog, they have a small post about their new UI: http://reticon-et.blogspot.com/
-Impulse
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

so is the game still going to be online? that for me is one of the massive selling points of this game

I'm kinda hoping for something on a scale of Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver here, when I say that I mean in terms of level size/design, story depth and character quality etc obviously it will be a different type of game but Soul Reaver was soo massive and deep it was just fantastic, and it would just be wonderful to get another experience like that again for Dreamcast. Don't get me wrong, shooting games are all well and good but I think the shooter market on DC might be close to saturation soon, Sturmwind will be awesome but I really just wanna see a nice story driven 3rd person, 3d action game again!!

Anyway can't wait to see more
dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post by dreamcast-news »

Anthony817 wrote:Vaporware?

i think yes... sorry :(
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -
mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

DCUltrapro wrote:
I'm kinda hoping for something on a scale of Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver here, when I say that I mean in terms of level size/design, story depth and character quality etc obviously it will be a different type of game but Soul Reaver was soo massive and deep it was just fantastic, and it would just be wonderful to get another experience like that again for Dreamcast.

I take it you haven't played Shadowman yet? its even bigger
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here
VasiliyRS
Uber
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Areana
Phantasy Star Online v2

Post by VasiliyRS »

It would be a pain to create something and then go back and do it again, in the end it would just slow us down, which has happened to us already.

Ok, but new technologies are developped every day and it's gonna be infinitely process for getting perfection. In that case you just can create another engine :) Guys it was more than 2 years since your fisrt posts at dcs, dc fans had too much disappointments in past so pls dont make us wait another 2 or more years ... till our dc is still work...
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

yeah it would be nice if they could just produce the game on whatever engine they have been using already, I know they want to make it brilliant but surely there has to be a point where they pick the engine and just have to stick with it, otherwise they will forever be changing the engine they want and nothing will ever materialise.

@Mazo: I did see Shadowman but was honestly not a big fan, there were no real graphical improvements over the playstation version and it just looked so horribly dark and dull that I never got far into it.

one big engrossing game I got into for quite a while before getting involved was Nomad Soul