Dreamcast "secret" BIOS

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Dreamcast "secret" BIOS

Post#1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:43 am

Came across this vid on youtube https://youtu.be/gkHNyiJPZtk found it to be pretry cool. Havent tried it myself yet.

I guess Sega beat Xbox on changing the console dash look after all 8-)

Wilco
lithium

Re: Dreamcast "secret" BIOS

Post#2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:51 am

That's pretty damn cool.
Kid With The Play

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#3 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:00 am

Yup this works.
Tried it serval years ago.
Looks asewsome but is useless
DreamOn!

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#4 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:18 am

This bios can stay permanent with other method?

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 am

DarkSynbios wrote:This bios can stay permanent with other method?

With Dual-Bios, if you flash a Custom Bios that is on the net (I cant remember site now sorry), this look can be permanent. That bios is awesome because allow to do many changes and save it, can make a mix of the 2D clear background and the 3D world/look. More extras that i remember from it:
-Is multiregion, load any GD.
-The menu loads in 60hz by default, perfect for PAL users.
-Can boot with Katana DevKit Intro
-Change color of the Dreamcast logo Swirl.
-Im not sure of this, but loads directly 1 track backup games, no need to swap the old boot_loader disc.
-Patches some non VGA games directly.

The only issue of that issue is that dont load homebrew, bootloaders, some wince games... and at this point I prefer to have Dreamshell in that extra BIOS.
Hope that soon that coder fix that ;-).
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Ahh yes the fabled 3D BIOS , it's a simple toggle , all controllers can play with it =} And when under Music playing disc music the background turns to quite awesome

I just used Dream Explorer AKA VMU Tool to obtain it , it did not even cost blocks I don't think

The only "bad" thing is the light show won't happen if in 3D BIOS mode 0.o

The app/utility mentioned above is very useful ! Some titles force permanent icon on your VMU , which even eats blocks ! But Dream Explorer/VMU Tool will undo that