OSSC Roll-Call / Newest Board Has Integrated Audio Output

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
RoundCircleS
shadow

OSSC Roll-Call / Newest Board Has Integrated Audio Output

Post#1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:44 am

Hello, I've been running my OSSC for a while now.

I got a pre-built kit and set it up a while back and never got back here to see who else has one and how they like it. For me, it's great because my TV won't properly scale 16:9 and keep the proper aspect ratio without putting up black bars. At this point, I now have an older board, so I run the audio out of my Madness VGA box and into my TV. the newest ones appear to have audio out built on to the board. I also had to change at least one setting to solve a flickering issue, and I upgraded the firmware for some reason or another. It scales really nicely, you do lose a little resolution due to everything getting enlarged slightly, but naturally that is going to happen. I set up my Logitech Harmony to work with it. That is a little clunky, but easier than the on-board buttons.
I really have no complaints with this thing. I guess the biggest trade-off is that it is no longer an analog signal going into the TV, but the OSSC seems to do a good job of converting, so it does not introduce any issues there that I have been able to detect. It's also nice that it utilizes that DVR codec for accurately scaling the picture to fit my screen entirely.

Now at this point, the only weak link in my set-up might be my VGA box (or my TV), because I can see vertical red hazy "lines" sometimes, usually when playing Test Drive Le Mans during the dark periods. But these are not coming from the OSSC. Actually, I could get them to be less noticeable using the OSSC color adjustments, but that led to a washed out picture with odd tint overall. So I suspect either the VGA box or the TV, because I don't see them on my spare old computer monitor when going VGA direct to VGA monitor, but do see them when going VGA box direct to VGA TV. So perhaps either the monitor is handling something that the TV cannot in terms of noise coming out of the VGA box, or perhaps the TV is causing it somehow. But I digress.

Who else is rocking an OSSC and what do you think of it?

Xiden
Developer

Re: OSSC Roll-Call / Newest Board Has Integrated Audio Output

Post#2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 am

I'm super tempted to get an OSSC, depends on if Micomsoft comes out with a successor to the framemister by the time I have funds saved up for either.

Grey Fox
lithium

Post#3 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:27 pm

I have a Framemeister and also a Gefen VGA to DVi Plus but I really really want an OSSC.

The issue is it seems to always be out of stock (which I get as it is a niche product being constructed individually etc) and it is t very clear how to get onto the list and pre-order. I notice the version 1.6 is due out soon. Would love to get hold of one though. Seems a neat product.

RoundCircleS
shadow

Post#4 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:33 am

The list was a little strange when I dealt with it. At some point I got an email with a number in the address bar, and then I emailed them the number, something like that. Then eventually it showed up.

I considered the Framemeister, but the OSSC seems to have the most elegant solution for dealing with scaling up the DC pixel aspect ratio to fit wide screen.

Grey Fox
lithium

Post#5 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Hmm - just had an email to say pre orders for v1.6 are open as I have been on the list for ages. So just pre-ordered.

Think normal orders open in a couple of days