how much would you shell out for a rev 0?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
BloodBrother
core

how much would you shell out for a rev 0?

Post#1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

I found a rev0 DC on craigslist, the sellar is asking for $65, console only, no cords, etc. Im kinda on the fence, leaning towards at least offering something, but thats steep, considering id have to drive a couple hours to get it, or work out shipping. I figure both options would be about $10-15. What would you do?
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: how much would you shell out for a rev 0?

Post#2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:09 pm

id buy one complete from a retro shop or ebay for 50$..

BloodBrother
core

Post#3 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:33 pm

On ebay i found one Rev 0 and was being automatically outbidded, kinda ridiculous.. my local game shop does sell dreamcasts, broken and working, but none are Rev 0.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

mstar
Doom

Post#4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:39 am

Just curious: why does it matter if it's a Rev 0?

I've had Rev 1 and Rev 0 in the past, and besides the Rev0 being more "sturdy" internally, i don't know of a difference?

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 am

Im with mstar, why rev0? My current black sega sports DC is rev1 and it works great. It was manufactured in Aug 2000.

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#6 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 pm

From what I remember, the rev 0 units have better cooling technology inside. I think there may also be issues with the later rev1 and rev2 units successfully playing CD-r's.

$65 is a little high, but if you're comfortable spending that much you're really only splurging about $20 extra
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:37 pm

I would pay no more than $90 USD just for the system itself.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

BloodBrother
core

Post#8 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:31 am

Thanks to all for sharing their opinons! As Everynewday84 stated, I have read they hade better cooling tech, which made it more expensive to produce. They went cheaper materials with subsequent models. As well as not being able to read mil-cds after a certain manf date.

I ended up finding one on ebay, that was untested and without cords, for $30 out the door. Kinda a gamble, but i figured these arent too hard to fix, after reading forums on the DC for weeks. At the very least, a cool project to tinker with, in addition to the nostalgia. (Almost 9 when it came out!) Anyhow, it arrived today, and after taking it to the local retro game shop, hooked it up and had a shit eating grin the rest of the day, because it worked!! I wrangled up a power, a/v cord, controller, rumble pack, and vmu for $15, pretty great deal,i thought. Now im just waiting on a couple games in the mail =D

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#9 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:41 am

I had a conversation with one of our older developers years ago and we talked about the lack of Mil-cd support in later version. Neither of us ever seen a Dreamcast that did not play CD-Rs and both of us have owned many. Myself I have owned 5 or 6 of them. I can't say for sure that any of them were the suggested version. I have sense asked many times have any of you ever had a Dreamcast not support the CD-r format, either for audio playback or bootleg games? Is this a myth?

krssn
Metallic

Post#10 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 am

Unless you're going to overclock it, it should make little to no difference.