Dreamcast weird dither pattern over VGA

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Dreamcast weird dither pattern over VGA

Post#1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Does anyone else see this type of pattern (dot and diamond looking stuff) when viewing their DC over VGA? https://imgur.com/iRpzJlq

It's been a while since I've had my DC hooked up with VGA. I used to connect it to a CRT PC monitor and never saw anything like this, but now I am running it into an LCD. I've tried out 2 different VGA boxes and two different LCD monitors and see the same.

I found some references to the Dreamcast using dithering in its video output and some posts of people saying they see it, and other saying they don't see it (which I always take with a grain of salt because you can easily not see something until someone points it out). Thoughts?
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast weird dither pattern over VGA

Post#2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:37 pm

It's normal. You'll see the same thing with the PS2 and component cables and it's even worse with that. That's the drawback with using retro consoles on modern screens. The picture will look sharper but you'll see every little imperfection.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 pm

the dreamcast doesn't do proper bitmapping most of the time. try playing dead or alive 2, you won't see it there

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:42 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:It's normal. You'll see the same thing with the PS2 and component cables and it's even worse with that. That's the drawback with using retro consoles on modern screens. The picture will look sharper but you'll see every little imperfection.

That's what I figured, I just wanted some confirmation since I don't remember seeing it on the CRT and I played hours upon hours on that thing. It's probably harder to see it on an analog display.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast