Planet Ring on US Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Halcyon
rebel

Planet Ring on US Dreamcast

Post#1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:04 am

Hey guys just wanted to know if there was a way to play Planet Ring on a US dreamcast? Or is this something only the PAL Players can enjoy?
Robots build Robots

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Re: Planet Ring on US Dreamcast

Post#2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:24 am

Hi! Im a PAL user but sure that works if you use the code breaker cd to boot it. I done the same with NTSC GD-ROMs here. :-)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:48 pm

I just played it online with my NTSC/U Dreamcast. I will provide a link (below) to Dreamcast-Live which will allow you to download what you need to connect - if you do not have what Jako listed (above my reply). These are legit downloads, so what you may need is the following...

NEEDS:
1. ImgBurn 2.5.7.0 for Dreamcast (follow the directions being there are a couple of files you'll need to copy to a designated subfolder).

2. Sylverant Planet Ring Patcher v2.0 - OR - Sylverant PSO Patcher v2.0 (use this one).

3. A blank CD-ROM.

Link to Dreamcast-Live Downloads:
http://www.dreamcastlive.net/downloads.html
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:26 pm

The patcher is outdated and points a non-existent server. It will need to be updated by BlueCrab to point to Shuouma's new server. It isn't needed anyway as it can be redirected to the correct server with the 146.101.91.123 DNS server. The only reason you would need to use the patcher is if you use real dial-up and your ISP ignores the DNS setting.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 pm

I was able to use my GD-ROM of Planet Ring last week with TacT and one other by using the PSO boot disc, then placing my PR GD-ROM into the NTSC/U Dreamcast and then eventually dialing and connecting via DreamPi. In short, the patcher does work...for me (ala like a boot disc rather than a "patcher").
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Yes, because the PSO patcher wouldn't patch Planet Ring. It's just going to work like Codebreaker or any other boot disc. If you used the Planet Ring patcher it would cause the game to connect to the wrong server.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live