Dreamcast NOW : What would you like to see in an update?!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
DreamcastUK
brutal

Dreamcast NOW : What would you like to see in an update?!

Post#1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 am

Being fairly new to the Dreampi way of connecting online with the Sega Dreamcast, I am often on my phone just refreshing the page to see if it changes the game I am might to be online playing (4x4 Evo always shows I'm playing online with Planet Ring).

So if there were to be an update what things would you like to see?

I've listed a couple of things that I personally would think would make a difference:

- Online since time (Login time)
- More than past three games online previously (Just to fill the space maybe two more icons)
- Send Messages (maybe a DC-Talk PM option etc)
- Adding the DC-Talk or other chat screen to the page
- Icon for leaderboard winners etc

Well mine may not be some of the best ideas but I'm sure that a lot of you will have some good ones.

DCUK
Last edited by DreamcastUK on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Xiden
Developer

Re: Dreamcast NOW : What would you like to see in an update?!

Post#2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:33 am

Would like to see the eventual addition of Saturn NetLink games added! It would be cool to help out the Saturn peeps find people who are looking to play as well, maybe have a new Saturn Now? or Merge it all together under DC NOW. Go team Sega systems wooo

It could be tracked when people dial up via the dreampi and you'll know what game they'd be playing due to the website that they are connecting to.

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#3 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Having a page showing details about an individual user might be useful sometimes.

BLueSS
dark night

Post#4 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:02 pm

- More than past three games online previously
Why? What would the purpose be?

- Online since time (Login time)
That could be a nice, simple stat to add.

- Send Messages (maybe a DC-Talk PM option etc)
A simple way for some of this, is on the dreampi profile config page, add a field for "DC Talk" user ID number. That would link to their profile (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=XXXX) (just have a link generated replacing their ID in there if they enter it into the profile.

I've been a fan of the wiimmfi approach to online stats:
https://wiimmfi.de/game

This would obviously have to tie into the server stats, which full disclaimer I have NO IDEA if the DC servers other than Q3 report active clients. This data could still be populated by DreamPi stats though.

A summary at the top of
=Games online=
Phantasy Star Online: 4 users
- Users online: BLueSS, Bob, etc
Quake 3 Arena: 2 users
- Users online: TacT, fragmachine

It's obvious we are all interested in seeing how the tool can get better, so we like it. :) Not sure how much effort it'll take vs the benefits.

kazade
Developer

Post#5 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Keep the suggestions coming. I have really limited time to work on this (mainly because of another *massive* project) but if something is really wanted I'll make time.

The recent revamp only happened because pcwzrd13 sent me mockups and all the assets (game images etc.) which basically allowed me to hammer it out in a few hours.

mstar
Doom

Post#6 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Big ticket item: BBA support :)

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#7 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:25 pm

I only just made this post to see what others would like to see from the great Dreamcast NOW

Reason why I said more than three games as it would look nice to fill the section by adding another two etc to the card.

- Phantasy Star Online v1 and v2 separate to being displayed online with.
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#8 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Kazade, please don't beat yourself, get to it on your time. You have done great for this community and I would not want you to feel obligated or pressured. Real life comes FIRST.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Post#9 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:51 am

I would like to have an app or some kind of sofrware for linux to make possible using dcnow for my pc-dc :)
From love, with Russia :)

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#10 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:57 pm

I would like there to by a world clock, for example if I life in Illinois it with tell me the time my time. Maybe have an option to set your time zone and the website will display your area's time maybe weather to? Leaderboards or tells you the highscores/records of that game your playing straight from the page