How to Play Backups without Modding or Swap Trick On Sega Saturn

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

How to Play Backups without Modding or Swap Trick On Sega Saturn

Post#1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:53 pm

So Unless you got it done a long time ago like me you most likely dont have a mod chip for the saturn. But you really dont want to fork over that much for panzer dragoon saga but you also dont want to wreck you laser with the swap trick. Enter Pseudo Saturn Kai, a homebew application that turns your action replay, game shark or memory card plus into a device that lets you save, import and play backups without modding! This will require you to do the swap trick once but after that you are all set! here is the website and a really good tutorial.

http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjE-U6nHbPw

Happy Gaming! :lol:

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: How to Play Backups without Modding or Swap Trick On Sega Saturn

Post#2 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:09 pm

It's worth noting that you lose actual AR code functionality if you flash your AR with the CFW, though. You're better off buying one of his homebrew "Gamer's Cartridge" units than modifying your own AR, IMO.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#3 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:52 pm

But if you want that feature back you can simply flash it again

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:35 pm

Now if I'm not mistaken the earlier PAR carts had a communications port on the top of it. Now the one I own which is what most everyone that I have ever talked to and subjected to get are the later variants. So is this just a problem without the communications port or is it all of them?
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#5 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Im not quite sure what your asking but regardless on what version you have it flashes it all the same, it makes the cart a memory cart, a import cart and of course it lets you play backups, unless its added in future releases you cant use cheats

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:52 am

If you have one of the newer ARs without the communications port, it is useless for this purpose, and you can't flash it at all. The only way to be able to flash a real AR is to have the original model with the communications port and to also have an adapter that lets you connect it to a modern PC.

If you don't have one of those original AR carts, you must buy the "Gamer's Cartridge" he's selling. Even if you do have an original AR cart, I still recommend buying the "Gamer's Cartridge" he's selling, because if you flash your AR with this firmware, you can't use the AR for cheats anymore, and having to reflash it as an AR to use cheats is rather dumb (and probably bad, because you'll wear out the old flash memory if you keep flashing it back and forth).
"Fear the HUnewearl."

krssn
Metallic

Post#7 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:05 am

Maybe you could mod those ARs without a com port to have one anyway.

Unless the board has been revised in such a way that it can't be done.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#8 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:35 pm

krssn wrote:Maybe you could mod those ARs without a com port to have one anyway.

Unless the board has been revised in such a way that it can't be done.

That could be the case. I just popped mine apart to see if they did not just make a new revision of the PCB but as it stands EMS must of had a overstock of these things.

Now they might have known they wouldn't be updating the firmware much longer since 2.1 is the latest firmware, but it clearly shows that the traces for the communications port is still there so it could have been easily modded back in with a little bit of time and patience.

Now I would have bought a second one just so it could be flashed since both the saturns I own are mod chipped so I don't need to go out and ship one out for it to be flashed for me. In the other hand I also agree with Ives here since there should be no reason to flash it as much times as you please since this is more of a permanent solution, and not something that you could swap out at any time if you feel that you don't like the changes you've made.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

krssn
Metallic

Post#9 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:51 pm

You're in luck so it seems. Just did the same with mine, a 4M plus cart. No more traces.

So they must've changed it at some point afteral.

It's nice to know some cards still have that option though.

It's a cheap upgrade if you have one. Even if best to only use it for its original purpose.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#10 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:15 pm

sorry guys for not going into more detail lol, didn't mean too misinform anyone i just wanted to show people a easy way how to play rare games easily if they didn't know of this method.