Netlink Roll Call

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Plastic
rebel

Re: Netlink Roll Call

Post#11 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:42 am

Just ordered a Netlink adapter and the Voip modem. I have a modchip so I can play any game.

Padre
photon blast

Post#12 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 pm

I'm really considering getting a Saturn now that it can be played online fairly easily, the only Sega system I've ever owned has been the Dreamcast so I'd have to track down everything except for controllers (I already have several of those "s" Saturn pads that I use with the DC) that being said, I think it would be great fun to get a system together and I've been researching what it would cost to get all this stuff, I'm figuring maybe $90-$150 for everything... I really don't want to start collecting games for another system so I would be doing the backup disk thing to start. It's something to think about, I'm not sure about getting a Saturn just yet, but it kinda' seems like it might be an inevitability, lol.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#13 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Padre wrote:I'm really considering getting a Saturn now that it can be played online fairly easily, the only Sega system I've ever owned has been the Dreamcast so I'd have to track down everything except for controllers (I already have several of those "s" Saturn pads that I use with the DC) that being said, I think it would be great fun to get a system together and I've been researching what it would cost to get all this stuff, I'm figuring maybe $90-$150 for everything... I really don't want to start collecting games for another system so I would be doing the backup disk thing to start. It's something to think about, I'm not sure about getting a Saturn just yet, but it kinda' seems like it might be an inevitability, lol.

Yeah, if you need to buy everything you're probably looking at >$100. There's some good stuff on the Saturn, but it really helps to use backups because a lot ends up being so expensive. I region modded mine, and often it's cheaper to buy the JP version of games if you like having original copies (looking at you House of the Dead and Bomberman).

Even with only a few playable Netlink games, I think it's really exciting. Also, a lot of Dreamcast diehards pull double duty as Saturn diehards so you'd be in good company.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Xiden
Developer

Post#14 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:47 pm

If you get a saturn there are two mods u can do. The internal mod chip which to me was really easy to install. Or get the action replay mod where you buy or flash an action replay cart to play back ups aka psuedo saturn I think.

Also saturn supports RGB/Svideo signals natively

Padre
photon blast

Post#15 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:20 am

Does the action replay cart need to be kept installed while the backup game is being played? I'm assuming not, because the Netlink cartridge needs to be put in afterwards to go online...

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#16 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 am

Padre wrote:I'm really considering getting a Saturn now that it can be played online fairly easily, the only Sega system I've ever owned has been the Dreamcast so I'd have to track down everything except for controllers (I already have several of those "s" Saturn pads that I use with the DC) that being said, I think it would be great fun to get a system together and I've been researching what it would cost to get all this stuff, I'm figuring maybe $90-$150 for everything... I really don't want to start collecting games for another system so I would be doing the backup disk thing to start. It's something to think about, I'm not sure about getting a Saturn just yet, but it kinda' seems like it might be an inevitability, lol.

Its very easy to do
http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

also a great tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjE-U6nHbPw

Xiden
Developer

Post#17 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:55 am

Padre wrote:Does the action replay cart need to be kept installed while the backup game is being played? I'm assuming not, because the Netlink cartridge needs to be put in afterwards to go online...

I read somewhere that they can be swapped out. Ill see if I can find more info

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#18 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:20 pm

With enough netlink users, it would be fun to exchange ghost files for the racing games. It's currently a little difficult to do that, but the process could probably be streamlined.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#19 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Padre wrote:Does the action replay cart need to be kept installed while the backup game is being played? I'm assuming not, because the Netlink cartridge needs to be put in afterwards to go online...

nope once it says "detected real saturn disc" and starts counting down, you can swap out the action replay for the netlink. as long as you get it in before the initial sega logo goes away it will register the netlink i'm pretty sure
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Padre
photon blast

Post#20 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:44 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:

nope once it says "detected real saturn disc" and starts counting down, you can swap out the action replay for the netlink. as long as you get it in before the initial sega logo goes away it will register the netlink i'm pretty sure

Cool, that was my biggest concern... gonna' start tracking down a Saturn! My guess is I'll probably get everything I need and be ready to join in on 'Netlink night' in a couple months give or take. :D