Moderator: pcwzrd13

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Re: Sony Downsizes By 90%

Post#81 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:46 pm

The PSP is sort of like game gear.
The Vita is sort of like nomad.
The PS3 is sort of like Saturn.
There smaller cooler revisions of consoles was sort of like segas.

Sega had to throw a hail mary for many reasons, the dc. At the least, it gave Sega some rep points back.

The gb color was sort of like game gear.
VirtuaBoy was sort of like 32x.
The N64 was sort of like Sega CD.
The Gamecube was sort of like Saturn.

Nintendo had to throw a hail mary, Wii was a successful hail mary pass.

I'm trying to figure out if Sony right now is at the point of a hail mary pass.

However I'm trying to figure out yen conversions, how much it has overall, etc. At the least I'd agree Sony PSD is starting to roll downhill.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#82 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Cool Comrade glad you have a biz degree and provided a pdf.

Do you think if this keeps up until 2014 the division will be at "1997 sega status" ?

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#83 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:53 pm

No, not at all. Sony is a conglomeration. They're massive. They have film, audio, financial, computer (obviously), all kinds of different businesses. They can easily shed whatever businesses are causing them to lose money, they can easily sell businesses to get an influx of cash. They're a pretty fluid company, which is something to consider when investing in a business. While they are losing money… they deal in such massive amounts of it. I'm not going to say too big to fail… because we know how that went. But… highly unlikely to fail by the weight of the PlayStation division. And highly unlikely to fail by 2014.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#84 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Ok.

I know in a PR sense it would be a sign of weakness, but why not after the holidays in a business sense, cut the ps3 and vita production, since each of those units they lose money on ? Hence cutting their losses.

They can still release free games on Sony network and sell "blockbusters" like Call of Duty version 33 lol in 2013 but simply cut their loss and hype ps4 like Nintendo hyped WiiU since what, 2010 ? I mean, releasing a smaller but more expensive than original ps3 seems crazy. It's like Sega old management is there "Hey in Sega Saturn magazine say we will cancel Saturn soon because we are making the dc, hype it up in this Saturn magazine for 20 more issues, oh, and run a article about what to get a 32x or Saturn, I'm sure it won't confuse or hardcore fanbase" lol.

They have a PSP and Vita in a Nintendo, Apple and Android portable market anyway, it seems bad business to keep dumping in something that won't sell. (Game Gear, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn until they said he let's cancel early).

As it's obvious to people they will have a meh 2012 holiday and sluggish 2013 anyway, why not cut your losses and just praise the ps4 in hype like sega did with dc during 1998 or Sony did with PS2 in 2001 or wiiu has done for 2 years ?

Or is it just easier an overall business move to simply fire a satellite radio division (indeed we both know Sony has many division Sega was small fries compared to this powerhouse Sony corp) then dump those assets, which might not last long, into their gaming division to save face and keep afloat until ps4 ?

What do you think ?

Also I know you vs Mr Sega and OP vs everyday seem to have a history, I don't want to be drug in it (not saying you or anyone tried to).

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#85 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Also are the top 5 sellers still :

1) Wii
2) 360
3) PS3
4) PC
5) DS

Like years ago ? I can never seem to find exact updated numbers or charts listing for new gen console wars.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#86 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:31 pm

I really don't see Sony as being in that huge of a debacle. I think that there's just a massive amount of bias against Sony among Sega fans, and they want to see them fail.

They're losing money, but this is something that occasionally happens to companies. Companies will expand sometimes and then sometimes they'll contract. The business cycle is typically a theory applied to macroeconomics, but it applies to microeconomics as well since.. well, macroeconomics is the sum of microeconomics. Basically, just the idea that a recession is a natural thing to happen after a period of expansion.

The Vita isn't doing well. The PlayStation 3 is only trailing the Xbox 360 in sales by like 3 million units or something like that. The PSP never really did well. The PlayStation and PlayStation 2 were incredible successes. Sony is a conglomeration with many other businesses.

Sega didn't really do very well with a system until the Genesis. The Genesis did good, but maybe 8 million or so less than the SNES. The Sega CD was a failure. The 32x was a horrible failure. The Game Gear was a failure. The Saturn did alright in Japan and was a failure everywhere else. Then Sega really just didn't have the money to sustain the Dreamcast. Sega was just Sega.

There's not really any parallel to what's happening with Sony to what happened to Sega.

There's just a lot of personal feelings on this board that need to be set aside.

Note that when I called the consoles successes and failures I was referring to their sales performance.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#87 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Like just announcing and showing start of hardware of ps4 in magazines hyping would increase stocks and trading alone until it's launch which would help the corp.

I can't see how pushing original ps3 and making a new smaller ps3 and pushing a failing Vita without a price drop is helping that division at all, I saw in pdf operation costs were a 820 million year loss (I'm sure that's manufaction including which is a given loss in a business) but losing near 300 million or 500 million a fiscal quarter in production not only loses moral and fired employees in PR before holidays also creates a sort of public perception in this digital age, but business wise you'd want to show the Sony CEO your division is an asset not a liability.

This is a bad economy, but it seems PSD is snowballing bad, but I guess slowly within giant corp standards.

Thanks for the pdf, it was confusion seeing 1 site say 300 million, 1 saying 45 million, 1 saying the psdivision was biggest part of overall 5 billion loss, etc from different dates. (Only the first fiscal is official).

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#88 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Indeed Comrade, I admit I have a bias as Sony and Sega management killed Sega.

Yes, usually earnings are usually the first consideration/default for what is a success. (Although it's not for me, but I'm not in businesses).

I do think though there are certain similarities with Sony PSD and Sega.

I mean the psp, vita and ps3 are dumping money into a black hole like Sega did with gamegear, 32x and Saturn (USA UK).

The moral is lowered, even Sony fanboys are complaining (Remember when Sega started losing respect ?).

The same correlation can be made with sega cd, 32x, and Saturn and virtua boy, n64, and gamecube both cases both companies needed to through a hail mary, the dc and wii.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#89 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Well, I think Sony's move at this point by pretending they're not working on a follow-up to the PlayStation 3 is pretty much a PR move. They launched the PS3 at a stupidly high price, the Blu-Ray tech wasn't really quite ready for a console, I'd argue (1x speeds and game installs) and they pitched it as this massively powerful console that would dwarf the 360 but it really hasn't because of bottlenecks in the system.

They insisted on a 10-year life cycle for the PS3 and many people interpreted that as meaning "no new Sony console until 2016" when they pitched the PS2 as having a 10-year cycle and it really did; it was supported well into the PlayStation 3 era.

It's hard to say what's going on in their heads. The Vita wasn't a smart move. It's a smart phone without the phone, and with how powerful phones are getting, I don't think people see the point in having one. A smartphone is a better investment, and in another year they'll probably eclipse the Vita.

God knows what they're thinking really, but the company isn't just going to suddenly collapse and they aren't just going to suddenly leave the game industry.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#90 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Since your a business major, I have a question overall about global business.

Perhaps I should be a network business major because they ignore (on purpose) this fact.

The FRB since 1913 or so gives money to countries with interest, it's mathematically impossible for all countries requiring printed or electronic funds to pay back the money borrowed (US pays them back from mints) AND interest to them since they only have what was borrowed and spend money for defense or balance their trade to other countries and up and down trading/stock markets (the USA is in 16 trillion dollar debt, it's a business not a country essentially, half of debt came within half comes from oweing other countries and interest of FRB which is a independent world bank) so the world economy is a ponzi scheme correct ?

The only way things can be leveled off is to the FRB to forgive countries interest, limit cash (stop inflating system) and start the process over again essentially correct ?

It seems the most powerful man in world is the public president of frb.

Giving little trillions to keep 2012 business/countries afloat seems like a plan to failure holding off a global economic failure as long as possible.

LOL, I remember my friend was like you don't know anything about business your from the street vector with no schooling (as if schooling is a requisite of overall intelligence)...I said I bet when you work for your company in wall street, groomed by a school financed by wall street, preaching "ethics and values and morals", you trade certain derivatives which are unbacked pieces of paper of value owed by someone else used as trading blocks for who pays what on time or etc to make extra funds (if you win bet) onto your salary because the goal is to acquire as much as possible for yourself and companies interest which you receive as a "bonus" for working in a trading market sponsoring politicians who look past bad practices and old CEO in wall street companies become countries secretary of treasurers hired by politicians who looked past the practices (by giving their wives not them themselves inside info hence profiting from loopholes of law) while no economic growth is going on because no country can pay back the FRB, as planned huh ? His face was priceless.

Return to “PlayStation Consoles”