has anyone ever tryed to develop on the ps2?

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Re: has anyone ever tryed to develop on the ps2?

Post#1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:40 pm

segadreamcastlover wrote:i was just curious has anyone here tryed developing on the ps2? i wanted to try and do that but i was curious is it worth doin for the ps2 or dreamcast instead?

NO.
PS2 SUCKS. NOBODY COULD EVER POSSIBLY WANT TO DEVELOP FOR THIS HORRIBLE CONSOLE FROM A HORRIBLE COMPANY.
[/capslock]

Well, back to the topic, if I'm not thoroughly mistaken, KallistiOS (the main OS for DC homebrew devving) also supports Gaystation 2 (as well as GBA). Never tried anything with it though... But I bet BlueCrab knows for sure.

Oh, and since you're asking, DC is 10000 times better than GS 2 for homebrew stuff since you don't have to mod your console to play homebrew CDs. That's why it is so popular with homebrew developers. :)
For Great Justice!

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 pm

I have a modded PS2 and there are pretty few things you can do with it other than play backups of an IDE HDD, USB drive, network, or disc. There are a few emulator and linux is fully supported with a GUI. Sony made an official Linux distro for PS2. PS2dev.org looks like its down. There was one mario homebrew game that some guy ported to PS2 but I think that is on dreamcast too. Dreamcast is better becuase your audience is bigger. PS2 only has the advantage of having every driver available to you.
PS2 Online Gaming

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Shouldn't this question be asked at Playstation-Talk.com or Dreamcast-Killer.com?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Lol guys go easy on him. The PS2 is just not an open system like the Dreamcast is, so nobody really ever developed homebrew like on the DC. You have to do things to the console first like add a modchip and whatnot, or soft mod it, whereas on the DC you just burn the games to a disc and you are playing homebrew.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#5 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:43 am

Captain Dreamcast wrote:Well, back to the topic, if I'm not thoroughly mistaken, KallistiOS (the main OS for DC homebrew devving) also supports Gaystation 2 (as well as GBA). Never tried anything with it though... But I bet BlueCrab knows for sure.
There's (probably at this point broken) rudimentary support in KOS for working with the PS2 with the Linux kit. KOS' PS2 support was never designed to be used without that. Also, I'd be surprised if the GBA support worked very well (if at all) anymore (it was never really finished in the first place).

That said, there is a bit of a homebrew community for the PS2 (although lately its been largely overshadowed by the developing PS3 community). You might want to check out the forums at psx-scene.com and ps2dev.org if you're really interested in PS2 development. Other than that, I don't know particularly that much about PS2 stuff, since I actually have only owned a ps2 for about a year. :lol:

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#6 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 am

BlueCrab wrote:Other than that, I don't know particularly that much about PS2 stuff, since I actually have only owned a ps2 for about a year. :lol:

really, that long?? :lol: :lol: I can honestly say that I never owned a ps2 (& I played the thing "at least" 4 times since it was released. did get the original xbox though (with a total of 5 games) & only coz some guy I know sold it to me very cheap. but I always kept going back to my DC for some strange reason
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#7 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:51 pm

There are still people devloping for it but it is mainly linux distros (without the kit) and modding launchers. sksapps has the best modding and emulator info: http://sksapps.com/ I softmodded my PS2 which is a pain because you have to open it up and block a sensor with tape. Once you do that though you can install free mcboot to load homebrew and play games from just about every peripheral the ps2 supports.
PS2 Online Gaming

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Lol, after I sold my Dreamcast in 2001 I had got a PS2 and had it till after Vice City came out, and I was doing something I shouldn't have done, and I tripped over the cord and dropped the PS2 whilst it was on and playing Vice City, and then it never worked again. That was the end of PS2 for me lol. :mrgreen:

Impulse
Admin

Post#9 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:30 pm

This topic belongs in the PlayStation forum. Moved.
-Impulse

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#10 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Captain Dreamcast wrote:PS2 SUCKS. NOBODY COULD EVER POSSIBLY WANT TO DEVELOP FOR THIS HORRIBLE CONSOLE FROM A HORRIBLE COMPANY.

I can't say I don't agree...
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN