C-Stick Seems to be Drifting

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alvin777
photon blast

C-Stick Seems to be Drifting

Post#1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:23 am

Hi. I'm not sure if the C-Stick is broken but when I'm on the GC Menu and put it on the tab to change the borders for the Game Boy Player, it keeps going circling as if up or down is being pressed but when I press the C-Stick upwards and hold it, it stops spinning and then it would do it again. I read this is problem is called drifting. Is there a link for a fix that you've tried or can recommend?

Thank you.

God bless, Rev. 21:4

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Re: C-Stick Seems to be Drifting

Post#2 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:08 pm

The easiest thing would be to reset the system WITHOUT touching anything. The N64 and GC analog sticks used the position when booting as a center point.

krssn
Metallic

Post#3 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:36 am

Buy triwing.

Open controller.

Check for broken off pieces / sticky stuff around the stick's potentiometers.

Check the stick's alignment with the potentiometer.

Fix and clean where necessary.

Clean the buttons' rubbers and contacts with alcohol while you're at it.

Close and test controller.

alvin777
photon blast

Post#4 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi Thanks. When I'm panning the map in Metroid Prime, there's an animation of the C-Stick there. It does work, you can pan in direction in the map with the C-stick but I noticed even when the physical C-Stick goes back to the center, the animation doesn't it stays on the last direction it pointed it to. The only way to bring it back to the center in that C-stick animation, in the game, in the Metroid map, is to manually point the physical C-stick the opposite direction, only then in the animation would the C-stick be centered. I think this is called drifting. Is it a cleaning issue or a potentiometer issue (hopefully those are easy to find, no spare controller to cannibalize parts from) or both. Thank you. God bless. Rev. 21:4 (yup got the tri-wing, bought from a cellphone rrepairman- every console store should have tri-wings for sale too)

alvin777
photon blast

Post#5 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:15 pm

[ Fixed :-) ] Hi. That was the easiest revive with the most significant result I've had. I just cleaned with 70% (no perfume) alcohol, soft toothbrush, thoroughly clean the boards, used a swiss knife's magnifying lens to really check up close if it's perfectly clean.

It seems to be the soldering paste used in manufacturing which gets in contact with what shouldn't be in contact and probably somehow the paste ground the board, messing with the potentiometer, so that, although the it moves, it's a delayed reaction. Thank you. God bless. Rev. 21:4